Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am really seeming to be unhappy with where my life is heading. I have been a single mom now for about 2.5 years and doing fine. I have been really reviewing what I really want in life as the town I live in offers no real advancement in many jobs including what I do. So, I hadn't been really thinking too much about it before because I have my kids 50% and the ex has them the other 50%. He is a very good dad so I have been just going with the flow and not thinking of trying to move to a bigger City were I have more changes to advance. Well, our Company merged with a bigger Company in October and all the job possibilities that were here are no longer. So, now I am sitting here thinking.........................."I can stay here and do software support forever, or I can move to a bigger City and try to continue on with my career goal of doing IT Administration". But recently I have been really wishing I would have taken up automotive when I was younger. My first passion is German cars and my love is the dubs. I pick up the information very quickly and I feel that I could continue with my career goal of the IT Administration, but Technology doesn't seem as stable as maybe getting into the Auto Industry? I guess I am wanting to know peoples ideas on this and how would one go about getting into the auto Industry preferably working for Volkswagen. Any comments would really be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
There's a guy here (vwdub???) who is actually a VW technician. He's got a website of his own. You might want to get in contact with him to get information on how to get a career in that industry.

As for your currect job, I completely understand. Jobs that leads nowhere offers no satisfaction. For that reason, the average American will switch careers 3 times in their lifetime!

If you want to get into IT Admin, it's still IT related and you shouldn't have that difficult of time getting into it. Have you considered an MBA if you don't already have it?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OneGuyInCA, My problem is I need to go to school to get my degrees. I was very lucky to get into this job and do what I do. The requirments are usually having a degree in Computer Science, etc. I came across this via Street smarts. So, I know the info I just do not have the paper backing me up. I would like to state I do not know enough about networking to be a IT Admin at this time, but it is something I have determination and where the money is. My Company since being taken over is training us on more and more products and just the items I support are huge programs to know and support. They are adding all these new requirements with no $$$ increase nor a job title change. So, this company has already proven to me it is a dead-end opportunity. I came from owning a successful business that my ex husband and myself started from ground-zero and worked up, so I have the drive and dedication. I just need to figure out where to start. I will contact him and see if he has some ideas as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
glxpassat,

If you don't have the luxury of time to pursue a degree, no prob. The other way to achieve it is to consider getting MSCE or Cisco Networking certifications. Then take up a couple project management courses. All these MIGHT be covered by your company if you can justify it. They can go a long way to get you noticed.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
What do you do best (examine your accomplishments)?
What do other people consider your strengths to be (consider specifics in the following areas: communicating, managing/directing, teaching/helping others, developing people, ideas/information, research/analysis, financial, systems, technical, physical, operating, etc...)?
How about your weaknesses?
What are your priorities?
What is your real goal, what is important to you (financial, prestige, etc...)?
What do you like to do (interests and values) vs. what you don't like to do?
What is your tolerance threshold for change?
What specifically do you want to do (simply saying I want to work in the auto industry is not enough for example)?
How do your skills match up with that specific position you desire (traits vs. skills)?
Will you need more schooling/training?

These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself and come up with some very honest answers to. Try to be as specific as possible. That's where I suggest you start. Then use these to create a vision/mission statement for yourself (both short term and long term).

Good luck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
glxpassat, I think your business ownership experience is a great asset to the type of work you're seeking. Owning and operating a successful business IMO provides far more valuable experience for admin work (in IT or otherwise) than any baccalaureate degree or MBA ever could- I say this as an MBA student myself. Of the five best system & network admins and plant-floor IS managers I've worked with, none had computer science or engineering degrees (in fact only one had any "degree" at all)- but they did have exceptional "street smarts" as you alluded to.
Many organizations will waive degree requirements for job candidates that demonstrate the right skills, attitude, and experience. This was the case with my first job, an engineering apprentice position with the U.S. Navy. PM me if you'd like details on this.
Best wishes!

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
HHHHMMMMM!!!! This sounds famillar to me. I can empathize Becca.

Does your work reimburse school for work in your field? Might want to use that. 1 good reason to stay if they do until you get certified.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Stay in your current field (possibly same job) till you actually move into the new career and settle down. This could mean spending time on weekends on the new career. Since you mention automotive, it doesn't have to be on a week day. My $0.02

I am not able to muster enough courage to swap careers myself. In a similar boat I guess.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YetAnother20V said:
Stay in your current field (possibly same job) till you actually move into the new career and settle down. This could mean spending time on weekends on the new career. Since you mention automotive, it doesn't have to be on a week day. My $0.02

I am not able to muster enough courage to swap careers myself. In a similar boat I guess.
But, I feel I am in my early 30's and I have two small children. I need to do something now!!! Wouldnt' you agree? I feel that I now know with this job it has turned into a dead-end job; which @ one time was not. So, I figure why waste anymore time here where I can start over and get going on something that will help me move up in the world. The job status is very important along with finances.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts