Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got this group project (4 people per group) due tomorrow in class, and one of my friends, which is in a different group then I'm in, get's the following e-mail:

"All of you probably got the same email from the professor as i did. since the project is due the coming wednseday, there is less than a week to do it. so those of you who care about your grade better start doing it, i don't care anymore, so you'll have to do it without me, people like ben, who doesn't want a bad project grade to pull down his average better do it, and others who still care. good luck. "

I didn't believe what I was reading, all I could say at the moment was, "What the fuck? Go beat him up."

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
That's what the forward button is for. I assume you guys have your professor's email address?

Not knowing what the nature of the project is, I submit that I wouldn't even let him see the results, or have his name on it.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I had a foreign student in my senior Chemical Engineering design class essentially pull that on me. I wanted to rip her head off. All semester, she was utterly useless and we got f'ed. My buddy and I who were the other team members went to the professor and laid out the situation and he said he'd take it into consideration in our grades. We busted our ass and got boned hard hard hard.

She was a classic example of professors just wanting her gone and therefore turning a somewhat blind eye to the pain she inflicted on other groups. Ugh, she sucked.

I know what you're feeling. Let the professor know and crank it out.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Same shit when you work at an engineering firm (in fact all over the place). There will be people on the team who don't want to pull their own weight.

I deal with it in the best possible way .... I bitch and moan about it constantly behind that persons back.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't put his name on the project, and attach a copy of the e-mail to the assignment. We have all dealt with this in varying ways. Heck even when I was in grad school, I can remember telling people in my group that I didn't care which part I did, and they all got mad. I tried explaining that it was all the same to me, I could complete any part of the project, it was assigned work, and therefore not something I would normally do in my free time, so it was all the same to me. They kept saying that I had to have a preference. Again, I tried to explain, but each and everytime they thought it was due to a general disinterest versus what I kept saying - "It really doesn't matter, and I will do whatever it takes to get this done."

Heck, I could generally do the whole project faster and get a better grade without them anyway!!!

Going back to your problem, I have no idea what the project is, but if you have a presentation, I would make sure the group acknowledges the person and reads the communication to the class.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Ever notice how when you're doing a group project, EVERYONE is f-ing busy all day every day, except you? These kids think they're so busy and overworked in college, especially with their 10 hour per week job. Of course, it's not like EVERYONE else has the SAME or MORE work. People whine and whine all day about nothing. If they put as much effort into their work as they did into whining, they'd all have 4.0s.

It's one thing to get pissed off about a slacker (that's not whining), but people who complain all day about how much work they have really irritate me. I also love people who "don't care." Why should you care for $20,000+ per year, right? It's not like your performance in college has anything to do with you getting a job. :crazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts