Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dean's foot and mouth disease
As Democratic chairman, Howard Dean is alienating one group after another.
David Boaz
May 15, 2006 03:35 PM

The Democratic national chairman, Howard Dean, isn't a dumb guy: he got through the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, after all. But sometimes his mouth works a lot faster than his mind, and sometimes he panders worse than Bill Clinton.

Last week, for some strange reason, he went on Pat Robertson's 700 Club television show and assured the religious right audience: "The Democratic Party platform from 2004 says marriage is between a man and a woman." Oops. Actually, it says
We support full inclusion of gay and lesbian families in the life of our nation and seek equal responsibilities, benefits, and protections for these families. In our country, marriage has been defined at the state level for 200 years, and we believe it should continue to be defined there. We repudiate President Bush's divisive effort to politicise the constitution by pursuing a "Federal Marriage Amendment".​
There's a little wiggle room there: the platform does not endorse gay marriage, and it allows Democratic candidates - such as John Kerry and John Edwards - to support bans on gay marriage in the states while still claiming that they support "full inclusion [and] equal responsibilities, benefits, and protections".
But it doesn't say anything close to what Dean claimed. At least when Bill Clinton pandered to the religious right with ads on Christian radio stations in 1996 boasting of his support for the Defence of Marriage Act, he was telling the truth: he really did sign the law that for the first time said the federal government would not recognise a marriage made under state law.
This is not the first time Dean has conjured up a set of facts that would appeal to his audience. Last year, when the US supreme court said cities could take land under eminent domain and give it to other private owners, Dean was outraged: only rapacious rightwingers could screw the little guy like that, he told an audience of college Democrats, denouncing "the president and his rightwing supreme court".
Actually, it was the four most liberal justices, plus one swing vote, who approved that taking, with the three conservatives and one swing justice issuing heated dissents.
Dean has already annoyed Democratic congressional leaders and party moderates, who think he presents the wrong image for a party trying to win a majority of the vote. Now he has ticked off gays and the leftwing bloggers. Start the search for a new party chair.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/david_boaz/2006/05/howard_deans_foot_in_mouth_dis.html
You gotta love election year politics! :thumbup:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ganesha said:
Mission Accomplished.
"Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin, we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico! We're going to California and Texas and New York! And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan! And then we're going to Washington, D.C. to take back the White House, Yeeeeeaaaaaah!" :p

http://www.all-encompassingly.com/crazy_dean_high.php

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mission Accomplished really helped you guys out during the 2004 election. Keep it up! Let's see if it works again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
larsensa said:
Mission Accomplished really helped you guys out during the 2004 election. Keep it up! Let's see if it works again! :thumbup:
It works better every day... :whistle:

I STILL don't get why people look to one party or the other for perfection or to be the scape goat. It is soooo transparent that the system is completely f%cked! :puke:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spd33 said:
WTF is Dean doing on the 700 Club anyway??!!
Pandering! You guys are just so sweet when it is one of your own doing the pandering. I am sure you would be just as sweet if Ken Mehlman, RNC Chairman, went on the LOGO TV station and said the 2004 Republican platform supported same sex marriage and gay adoption and the next day the conservative Christian base became upset and he said he didn't really mean it..... yeah right!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Elsewhere, surgeons who successfully separated conjoined twins over the weekend said they failed to separate Sen. John McCain's lips from Jerry Falwell's ass.

so they asked Dean to help.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jimbob said:
Elsewhere, surgeons who successfully separated conjoined twins over the weekend said they failed to separate Sen. John McCain's lips from Jerry Falwell's ass.

so they asked Dean to help.
At least he is a CONSERVATIVE pandering to a CONSERVATIVE crowd! :icon_eek: Actually, I am not sure if my statement is accurate.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
larsensa said:
At least he is a CONSERVATIVE pandering to a CONSERVATIVE crowd! :icon_eek: Actually, I am not sure if my statement is accurate.....
I wouldn't go that far. McCain is either a conservative liberal or a liberal conservative depending on how you want to spin it. That means he can pander to everyone equally! :)

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
larsensa said:
Oh my God, this is the closest Larsena has come to admitting a mistake!!!!:nervous:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harvey Wallbanger said:
Oh my God, this is the closest Larsena has come to admitting a mistake!!!!:nervous:
Actually, I think if you look back you will see I have made mistakes and unless I missed answering a post, admitted them and corrected them. What are you talking about? If you are really bored go back and look at my past posts and try to find places people have questioned what I have said and my responses.

I am far from perfect and I do my best to check my facts before I post them. I don't want to pull another CBS if you know what I mean.... :)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
McCain is a sell out to whoever will get him a step further ahead. His problem is that he lacks the looks and charisma to pull it off. He would be far better suited to continue with the 'straight shooter' approach to his political presence but at this point he so corrupted by pandering to the powers that be that his image is completely shot.
Bush/Rove assasinated his character in one of the most brutal national campaigns held in my short life (potentially one of the most visibly brutal since the age of modern media). Now he is Bush's butt boy? Nope... Don't like him. He is the guy that 'they' chose to make look like a maverick... within strict limitations of course, to satisfy the portions of the constituency that desire that without moving those constituents away from the party. He is a political pawn, by definition a shill (see footnote) and is no better or different than any of them. His record speaks for itself.

I haven't liked him for years because of how he treated the Vietnam POW/MIA issues with Kerry in the early nineties. He really came acrossed as completely selling out those soldiers to cover up the DoD's complicence in abandoning all of them (but for 591 of the 3,000+) for the sake of smoothing trade relations with Laos and Vietnam in 1973. The back story adds credence to the notion that McCain is owned by the Pentagon and the the "Straight Talk Express" makes no stops at stations that could damn the Intelligence department. Regardless his behaviour in the hearings reagrding releasing the debriefings was SOOOO egregiously improper and nasty that I just think he's a creep.

shill (sh
l) Slang
n. One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
v. shilled, shill·ing, shills
v. intr. To act as a shill.v. tr.
  1. To act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise).
  2. To lure (a person) into a swindle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts