Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 glx 4motion, love the car,
Went to get e-check, 5 minutes b4 the MIL comes on, so they fail me.

So, I go to the dealer to pull codes $80.
They pull 6 codes,
3 are misfires
1 Low voltage
2 are cats

So of course they want to change the cats because they are still under warranty. The kicker is they said they will not change the cats unless I replace the rear O2's. Now none of the codes were O2 codes. I called VWOA to check to see if the recalls had been done, they said yes, so I assume the hoses had been changed, a common problem.

The problem is they want $650 to replace the O2's. WHAT!!!
They want about $180 just for EACH one.

I think it just needs a tuneup. But having them install two new cats for free is nice too. They said that would normally be $3500, I am in the wrong business.

If I do replace O2's myself anyone know were I can get some less expensive ones.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

Garth

·
Registered
261 Posts
The misfires mean that it is time to change the spark plugs.
The low voltage could be a fouled O2 sensor and could be responsable for the cat codes.
Is the bad O2 sensor the pre-cat(more likely) or the post-cat(less likely)?
I have only heard of cats being replaced for being clogged from the engine burning oil.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sounds expensive for an O2 change... mine was around 140 installed IIRC. For future reference, go to your local AutoZone and have them pull codes. Its free, and they do what they can to figure out what they mean. Just ask for the codes and post them here and someone with a bentley will let you know what it means.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the mechanic and my check engine light and emission workshop shut off today. It had been on for two weeks. I put this ultra premium gas in today it was like 95. Half an hour later the lights turned off. It is too bad it was sunday or i would have taken it for it's emissions check so I can get my plates. You know I will take it tomorrow and that F-ing light will come back on right before the test.

·
Registered
69 Posts
need help on replace air intake

Hi guy:

can anyone show me the procedure on replacing the air intake fliter.

tsli

·
Registered
69 Posts
need help on replace air intake

Hi guy:

can anyone show me the procedure on replacing the air intake fliter.

tsli

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: need help on replace air intake

Hijack of the month?

here in Mexico they want to to charge me 3,500.Pesos about 325 Dollars
for the braking system maintenance(new rear pads, rotor check up and i don´t remember what else)

im getting OEM pads or Red Mintex in another car shop and getting them installed at another place

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It continues

Well, I took it to a mechanic and he wanted to charge me $550 for new plugs and wires. I was pissed. I said "WHAT!, YOUR KIDDING. WHAT DOES IT TAKE 5 HOURS. I left and got my emissions check, and I passed. So I am going to do the tune up myself. I must have a bullseye on my back. So, what began as a $1800 Fix from the dealer turned out to be some bad gas. It turned out to be a $4 fix. I am still going to get my free cats.

·
Registered
261 Posts
$550 is a little steep. I just did a quick search and a bosche wire set is $240 :weirdo: , a neuspeed wire set is $200 before s/h and bosche platinum +4 are $6 a plug. So the parts alone could be $276 :puke: and depending on how hard it is to replace the back 3 plugs, it could take 2 hours to change all 6 plugs & wires :eek:. Also what is the typical hourly shop rate in your area? Shop around and you might find an independant shop with a lower hourly rate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
screwed

That is what pissed me off. He charges $45 /hour. He quoted wires for $170. I can get bosch wires at www.ecstunung.com for about $150. So I can get the parts for $200. I am not going to pay someone $350 extra to change my plugs and wires. I have never had so many people try to screw me. It is not like I am cheap. I am just informed. I just wish they would lube up before they screw me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts