Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true? For a 98 1.8T He said I have to buy them from the dealer! Plus how are AC Delco rapid fire spark plugs?
Thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Eh... you don't HAVE to do anything. Maybe they mean they won't install anything other than OEM (understandable). Clarify what you mean exactly...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service guy said that I have to have OEM DEALER sprk plugs, and that i could ONLY get them from the dealer. :crazy: Sounds fishy to me!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Curry said:
The service guy said that I have to have OEM DEALER sprk plugs, and that i could ONLY get them from the dealer. :crazy: Sounds fishy to me!
"...have to have..." for WHAT? For them to install? For them to honor some warranty? Are they gonna track your car down and label it with a scarlet letter if you install others yourself?

Think we need a little context here....

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I hope he wasn't trying to say you'd lose your warranty if you didn't. The M-MA states a ealer can not make a warranty dependant on the use of their parts unless they are proved free of charge.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a warranty, Could someone teel me if the AC Delco rapid fires are any good? They are only single tipped, and the one's I pulled out today were triple tipped,am I gonna lose power? Have to my ASS! :suspicio:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i agree just do the plugs your self it

at the dealer oem plugs cost 22 bucks

at track auto platnum plugs cost 2 bucks each

do the math

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I wouldn't trust giving the dealership your own sparkplugs, they will probably put in their own plugs after all the incompetance and thievery I've experienced with them!

Take it to a recommended local garage, they are more reliable and cheaper.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I bought the OE spark plugs at Advance auto parts, they weren't cheap but they the original Bosch. I replaced them in a jiffy.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Beru Ultra-X are my suggestion

·
Registered
258 Posts
My good friend and next door neighbor is a 20+ year VW mechanic. He installed NGK plugs in my V6 30V because he said they perform better than the Bosch plugs his shop USED to use. These NGK plugs actually had VAG part numbers on them.

He works for a reputable VW dealer here in Germany. I thought NGK was a Japanese thing... Go figure. :shock:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts