Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer for a service and he told me that I needed rear brakes but the fronts were ok. How is this possible? I had always thought that the fronts wear out before the rears. BTW- I have a 2004 W8 Tip.

Thanks

-MikedW8

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
If you're handy you should do it yourself. $150 or so in parts compared to $400 or so at the stealer. There's two group buys going on here for rotors and pads each.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I went to the dealer for a service and he told me that I needed rear brakes but the fronts were ok. How is this possible? I had always thought that the fronts wear out before the rears. BTW- I have a 2004 W8 Tip.

Thanks

-MikedW8
just one look at your alloy wheels will show that,.......more dust on rears than front due to brake proportion /distribution ,resulting in faster wear on rear brakes,depending on some vechicles like our passats,my kids jetta is opposite ,more on fronts,............go figure

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just one look at your alloy wheels will show that,.......more dust on rears than front due to brake proportion /distribution ,resulting in faster wear on rear brakes,depending on some vechicles like our passats,my kids jetta is opposite ,more on fronts,............go figure
That's just it. My front wheels are the ones that get coated in brake dust. I think I might have been taken for a ride. I really don't like going to the dealer but I don't know where to go in NJ for a quality VW mechanic. (live and learn I guess)

·
Registered
367 Posts
if you got a friend that has a mechancial eye let him look at the pads and go from there,i would recomend doing the pads your self or give a buddy a few beer's after the job. good luck

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
That's just it. My front wheels are the ones that get coated in brake dust. I think I might have been taken for a ride. I really don't like going to the dealer but I don't know where to go in NJ for a quality VW mechanic. (live and learn I guess)
maybe, ........my two passats alays have more brake dust on rears than front using stock OEM pads,............nice and quiet though

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought I read the ABS uses the rears more..?

I thought I read in some of the post from brake search that the ABS system drives the rears more to reduce the front end dip and stopping?? My rears are wearing alot more then the fronts along with the rotors and the service guy said to wear them all the way and just do them then?? Sorry to jump in but I was also reading something about I think you should do the Bedding the brake Pads and rotors??? Like you get to 60 and stop hard to 10 mph but not stop and do that 6 times....?? I think to coat the rotors? Newbie Bill:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, I'm still learning the ropes of this web site. I found a couple of interesting threads. Here's something interesting. I've gotten the rears changed, but the fronts have a lot of pad left (~ half). And I have 33k on the car (I can't imagine getting 60k out of front pads).

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
I thought I read in some of the post from brake search that the ABS system drives the rears more to reduce the front end dip and stopping?? My rears are wearing alot more then the fronts along with the rotors and the service guy said to wear them all the way and just do them then?? Sorry to jump in but I was also reading something about I think you should do the Bedding the brake Pads and rotors??? Like you get to 60 and stop hard to 10 mph but not stop and do that 6 times....?? I think to coat the rotors? Newbie Bill:confused:
VW biases their rear brakes towards the rear more than most automakers. The fronts still do the majority of the work, but under light braking the rears are working harder than you'd think.

Bedding should be done after the new pads are installed and while opinions vary about the procedure, I personally have had perfect results by running about 45 and slowing quickly to 20 or so, about 5 times total. You can do it on the highway too, going from 65 or so down to maybe 40. The main thing is that you want to heat the brakes up, and then let them cool. Doing either method then standing the the brake at a stoplight immediately afterward is not the best idea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never heard of manuacturers biasing brakes to rear. This would be stupid as if you braked while car was unsttled (ie cornering) you would loose the back end.
:crazy:

Although, the reason there is more life on front is possibly due to them possibly being changed before, you had it from new?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have changed my rears twice and I am still on the original fronts - seems to be the Passat standard.:crazy:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Believe it or not I'm still on my original pads front and rear after 5.5 years and 49500 mi. (01.5 1.8T Manual Sedan) I just checked them this weekend while rotating the tires and the rears are worn a lot more than the front but still have quite a bit left on them. I'll keep checking them but I could probably get another 10000 out of them if I needed to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ah, I'm still learning the ropes of this web site. I found a couple of interesting threads. Here's something interesting. I've gotten the rears changed, but the fronts have a lot of pad left (~ half). And I have 33k on the car (I can't imagine getting 60k out of front pads).
82,000 miles on original front pads and rotors, had to change rear pads and rotors at 55,000 miles. Just had it into the dealer recently for another item and I questioned the service guys on my front brakes, his reply was the the Passats just have really good brakes. I assume he doesn't know the reason why either.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Never heard of manuacturers biasing brakes to rear. This would be stupid as if you braked while car was unsttled (ie cornering) you would loose the back end.
:crazy:

Although, the reason there is more life on front is possibly due to them possibly being changed before, you had it from new?
The brakes are only rear biased for light braking... for more "agressive" breaking, the fronts do most of the work, just as with any car.

SirWired

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Replaced the rears on my W8 at 40K. Fronts would have gone 70+ but I changed them at 55K because they squealed a little in hot weather..

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have changed my rears twice and I am still on the original fronts - seems to be the Passat standard.:crazy:
Yeah me too....although I do smell a burning smell after alot of hard driving from the front brakes...maybe it's time to just replace them anyways eventhough I was told they were fine? any ideas?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts