Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice I've asked my dealer and top technician about doing a PM on the Tip tranny in my 2001.5 1.8T and both seem very reluctant to do anything about servicing the tranny until it broke since VW doesn't require it (sealed system). Also, they say only they can only drain half the fliud. My Passat have 99,923 miles on it, mostly highway.

It seems strange that from what I've seem in the forums that repairing the tranny is around $3-7K and the consensus seems to be to replace the filter and fluid after 3 years and high mileage.

I get the feeling something strange is going on since I'm willing to fork over the couple hundred bucks to PM the tranny but the dealer, whom I trust - very knowledgable and good work, won't do anything.

Is there more to the story?

Am I going to be faced with rebuilding the tranny at some point or do they last forever?

I seem reference to a Moss-Magnuson(sp?) Act??

Thanks for any input in advance.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
If you are paying for it,they should do it. Be sure to change the filter with the fluid. That will get about 6 liters of the fluid changed (2/3 the total).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Doesn't make any sense, why would a dealer not want to perform a filter / fluid change? Even at 30,000 miles you would find the magnets clogged with grey matter and the fluid discolored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.