Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealership change the oil for me 2 weeks ago. (I know, I know, dumb thing to do, but I like to get it done there every once in a while). Anyway, I noticed the invoice says they used "15w40". Do you think It's worth the trouble of taking it back for the proper grade? I'm not sure why they wouldn't know what type VW recommends. Will 15w40 harm anything?

·
Registered
92 Posts
In my opinion, definately. Here's why: 1) Your manual is specific as to oil grade, and clearly the documentation indicates an incorrect grade. VWoA could void your warranty and blame the dealer and let you hassle that one out with the dealer. or 2) Even if the dealer put the correct grade in, your documentation does not show that. At the very least, get the dealer to correct the documentation.

I took my car to the dealer for it's first oil change and I was very specific about my concerns of overfilling and given assurances that it would not happen. Well, it did happen. I checked level when I got home, found it overfilled and called the service department. They told me to bring it in, and they would change the oil again, and this time do it correctly. Which I did, and they did. The point is, if you don't challenge the documentation, it will be assumed to be correct and you will be responsible for their mistake because you did not challenge it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I call my dealer today and they said VW OK's 15w40 as a substitute for 5w40. I will call VW customer service today and let you know what they said.
Do you think I should DEMAND the right type?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Gator VW said:
I call my dealer today and they said VW OK's 15w40 as a substitute for 5w40. I will call VW customer service today and let you know what they said.
Do you think I should DEMAND the right type?
Of course they're going to say that. They put it in, right? Let me make a prediction...VW will say they stand behind the dealer's selection of oil.

And BTW, the recommended viscosity of 5w-40 (if, in fact, that's what your model year recommends) only comes in synthetic, so the oil is going to cost you considerably more, especially at the dealer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
At my first 5000 mile oil changed the VW dealer used bulk 5W-30. I asked for 5W-40 as required by the manual and they said they've always 5W-30 and they said the manual is a "misprint". I wasn't too happy; I'll bring my own oil next time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In my owners manual, there was a update on the oil recommendations. It says that if 5w-40 in not available then 5w-30 will be OK....Personally I would not run a syn in it until you have at least 10,000 mile or more to make sure the rings are seated good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well VWofA said it was OK to use 15w40. Being that I'm the second owner, the warranty stop at 50,000 miles and I'm at 72.5K. They said "we'll make a note of it". :sad:
O well, I guess I wont be going to the dealership anymore.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Every single time I go to the dealer for service I have a problem. I only have 17K on my car.

at 5277 miles - OIL Change - Over filled my oil, 1/2" past max level
at 10248 miles - OIL Change - they spilled oil all over the belly pan without cleaning it up.
at 13577 miles - OIL change - they over filled it again, 1/2" past max
at 16866 miles - OIL change - they charged me for 5 quarts of oil (which they always have) when the 1.8t engine only takes 3.9 quarts and then I argued with him about that until he pulled the passat specs up on the bentley CD and found out that I was right.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Wow. I'm 2k miles from my first oil change, and now I'm scared to go.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow. I'm 2k miles from my first oil change, and now I'm scared to go.

Don't be. It'll be on your service record you had your car VW serviced, so if they f**k it up badly enough to cause problems it'll be their fault anyway.

Don't get me wrong - check their work when they're done, but don't lose sleep over it. One thing you could do is provide your own oil, have them add the whole number of quarts (ie, the V6 engine takes 6.37 quarts of oil and I tell the dealer to fill it with the 6 quarts I provide), then top it off when you get home.

Granted, they should do that to begin with ... but it saves you from ever thinking "I hope they really _____".

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, it's not to lose sleep over, but when you think about the cost per oil change of a VW vehicle ($46.00) compared to a nissan($25.00) or honda($25.00). . . it makes me sick.

What are we paying the extra money for? It's definitely not the quality of service!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Unless you're a little girl or somebody's grandma, you should be changing your own oil. J/k. Then you'll never have to worry whether or not it was done right, overfilled, etc.

Jonathan

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are some people that don't want to have to deal with the agravation of fighting with the dealership when something goes wrong with their car. Trying to prove to the dealership that you've completed all of the oil changes (or other service) per the required mileage intervals is not always an easy thing.

Maybe you have seen some of the horror stories on this board. Or maybe not.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Meap said:
Every single time I go to the dealer for service I have a problem. I only have 17K on my car.

at 5277 miles - OIL Change - Over filled my oil, 1/2" past max level
at 10248 miles - OIL Change - they spilled oil all over the belly pan without cleaning it up.
at 13577 miles - OIL change - they over filled it again, 1/2" past max
at 16866 miles - OIL change - they charged me for 5 quarts of oil (which they always have) when the 1.8t engine only takes 3.9 quarts and then I argued with him about that until he pulled the passat specs up on the bentley CD and found out that I was right.
well, 5 quarts would explain the overfilling...

still, kinda scary. i think i'm gonna start doing it myself.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are some people that don't want to have to deal with the agravation of fighting with the dealership when something goes wrong with their car
Good point. I hadn't really thought about that. By the time I can afford a car, the last thing I'm worried about is the original warranty. It's already expired!!!!

Jonathan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts