1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
READ TO BOTTOM...

original message:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This may be a dumb question, :weirdo: but I'm kinda curious... I was looking under my car the other day (2001.5 GLS V6 4Motion) and I didn't see any drive axles going to the rear wheels. Maybe I'm just an Idiot, but I didn't see 'em. How does the 4Motion All-wheel-drive work? :???:

Anyone have any pictures of a cut-away view of the B5.5 4Motion? Or maybe a picture of the undercarriage drivetrain?

Why? 'Cause I'm just friggin ignorant I guess :crazy: , and need to ease my mind. If its all-wheel-drive.....wheres the drive?

(yeah, it's my first Passat...only had it a week and a half now)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------end

did the research...called VW.... I got duped! It's NOT 4Motion!! :evil:

read on...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
wow I didn't know that they made non GLX 4motion on the newer body style.

Do you have a dual exhaust? (twin tails)

Did you see a rear diff (kinda hard to miss)...

Does your rear seat fold down (pass this one up if you have the variant)?

If you don't have these things.. than you don't have a 4motion :D

http://community.webshots.com/user/silensir

Edited... from your pictures... I'd say it doesn't look like you have a 4motion perhaps if you took a pic of the under carriage and rear... i would know for sure.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dual exhaust..... no. :shock: everything behind the muffler was cut and Just a custom tip that was installed after the zender rear valence went on. So I don't even know if it originally had dual exhaust or not.

Rear Diff..... didn't see one. :???: That's the thing that gets me. I bought it advetised as 4Motion GLS. I was expecting to find one but didn't see it, that's why I asked to begin with.

Fold down seat.... YES!! :D (big whoop huh?)

I ran the VIN and it comes up as 4Motion, but can't seem to prove it.... hence my confusion :???:

It even has the V6 4Motion badge on the back (yeah they're the Euro style so they've been added, but why if it's not 4Motion?)

Maybe the feed me a wrong vin... I'll have to doublecheck myself.

:???: Still confused :???:

·
Registered
73 Posts
What's the VIN?

And call a VW store and ask for their system's read of it....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
SouperSport said:
Dual exhaust..... no. :shock: everything behind the muffler was cut and Just a custom tip that was installed after the zender rear valence went on. So I don't even know if it originally had dual exhaust or not.

Rear Diff..... didn't see one. :???: That's the thing that gets me. I bought it advetised as 4Motion GLS. I was expecting to find one but didn't see it, that's why I asked to begin with.

Fold down seat.... YES!! :D (big whoop huh?)

It even has the V6 4Motion badge on the back (yeah they're the Euro style so they've been added, but why if it's not 4Motion?)

:???: Still confused :???:
Did you buy this from a private sale? and not a dealership...

I'd say if you don't see the rear diff, can fold the rear seat down... you have a V6 FWD with a 4motion badge!

If the rear seat has no hump... than there could be no way a rear axle would fit...

Try the VIN again... look in a few places to make sure it matches... you might have gotten someones botch job.. perhaps VIN switching.. or just a case of someone rebadging the car to sound pricier.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
It even has the V6 4Motion badge on the back
Does it say 4Motion on the chrome shifter surround. Bottom right corner when sitting in the drivers seat... sounds like you don't have a 4 Motion :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
I just looked through your pics and your shifter plate doesn't have the "4-motion" badge on it.

Also, just look under the rear of the car. If you dont have a physical exhaust on the passenger rear of the car, you don't got a 4motion.

Sorry to say it.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Rear 4Motion suspension, shown with and without shock/spring in place. Axle is clearly visible in the second picture.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Looking at your pics... one shows the lower portion of the lower dash buttons... looks like you have and ASR switch on the left side of the console... there's no ASR on the B5 4Mo.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:evil: OK, now I'm PISSED!! :evil:

Your right! Things just don't add up. I'm calling VW to run the VIN now!

I actually got the car through an autobroker. But he got it from a dealer in Anaheim. The dealer had it advertised at 4Motion. I'll be honest, I wasn't specifically looking for the 4motion. But If I paid thinking I was getting 4Motion and it wasn't then that's false advertising. I should be entitiled to a dicount, trade, or something right? What can I do? Any ideas or lawyers out there?!?

This is totally uncool! :thumbdow:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I hope you kept all the paperwork...I think you might have a lawsuit on your hands. :eek:

Andy

EDIT: Also, see if you can grab a picture of the underside of your car...just take a picture from the rear end of the car underneath, we should be able to tell right away if you really have 4MOTION or not...but it's starting to sound more and more like you don't...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:mad: AAAHHHH :evil: HHHHHH :mad: HHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad: :evil: :mad:

OMG!!!! Just got off the phone with VW!!!

It's a 2001.5 GLS, but it is NOT 4Motion!! :cry: ...... :evil: :mad:

:mad: I got Ripped!!!! :evil:

Guess I'm a victim of the "false Badge" scam. What can I do? Any Ideas...
(first thing is obviously removing the 4motion badge)

This Pisses me off!! :evil:

(Come to think of it, I'll leave the badge on as legal proof. My autobroker can confirm all. He happens to be a friend, he was probably just as ignoant as I)

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
I can't believe the anaheim dealership would be stupid enough to look at the badge and resell it as a 4 motion, but who knows, we've seen some dumb dealerships. Sounds like they may ALSO have gotten the short end of the stick on a trade in, unless they put the badge on it... :poke:

I'd get in contact with a lawyer first....and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'd be REALLY pissed too. I bought a 2002 GLS with 4-Motion from the dealer and yes it is a 4-Motion! Last winter proved it to me. :)

JROO-VW:
2002 was the last year 4-Motion was available in the GLS model. My GLS is loaded (ie: leather seats, heated seats, 4-Motion, alloy wheels, wood trim, etc) and by buying a 2002 GLS loaded with 4-Mo over a 2003 GLX with 4-Mo, I saved over $5000. The only things I do not have (that came on the GLX in 2002) are: Climatic HVAC, HomeLink, 16" wheels (I have 15" alloys), and power seats (mine are manual). All of these things I can easily live without. From the outside it looks like a GLX. I love it and didn't miss giving the dealer more cash. :D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
leadfoot... I've never seen or heard of the B5.5 GLS 4motion here in the US... everyone that I know of had the GLX 4motion in B5.5 models... B5 is another story.

·
Banned
373 Posts
SouperSport said:
:mad: AAAHHHH :evil: HHHHHH :mad: HHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad: :evil: :mad:

OMG!!!! Just got off the phone with VW!!!

It's a 2001.5 GLS, but it is NOT 4Motion!! :cry: ...... :evil: :mad:

:mad: I got Ripped!!!! :evil:

Guess I'm a victim of the "false Badge" scam. What can I do? Any Ideas...
(first thing is obviously removing the 4motion badge)
Man that sucks. On a similar note, there is a Silver B5 in my neighborhood with a V6 4-Motion badge with cloth interior (all have leather) and 15" alloys (came with 16" Montreals). I keep looking at that thinking...did someone just put the 4-Motion badge on for the hell of it? Now I gotta see if I can make an inquiry to the owner. Talk about getting taken for a ride....so to speak.

Joe

1 - 20 of 79 Posts