Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people have had problems with the spectacular new blades that VW came up with. Aren't they great?! You can only get them from VW for $72 a pair, SWEEET.

Anyway, went to the dealer as they were shot at 4,000 miles and 5 months. They put new blades on and they were still leaving a 3 inch gap in the middle of the windshield. Went back in and they said 2 things. If they start to streak clean the blade with a lint free cloth with some rubbing alcohol on it. That didn't help much, but the second part did.

They said that these blades may need to be "tweaked" from time to time and as they are so expensive, this could help extend the life. They will tend to streak just on either side of the mount to the control arm. This is because of the bend in the blade tending to push the center up as the ends push against the windshield. Very slightly bend the blad putting the downward curve right where the blade is not making good contact. Don't over do it or the ends will no longer touch and you may break the blade.

Worked like a charm, blade are working great now. Considering that I was 1 of 3 people in line waiting for them it sounds like they are a frequent problem. :thumbup: to Danbury VW for a fix that actually works for these pieces of #(@&

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Danbury VW is great. :thumbup: Just don't plan on buying your next car there, or gettin' any non-warranty service. They're quite the gougers. :nervous:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I already got 1 car from them. They matched any other dealer in the area. Got a 2003 passat Wagon, GLS, 1.8, Leather, Monsoon, ESP for $2200 under invoice with the incentives VW had.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I never had any problem with the aero blades streaking, but they chattered their way across the windshield terribly. I tried cleaning them with various suggested solutions...still chattered. Tripledge inserts used to replace the OEM rubber were the only cure for me. I like the blade design itself. On my car, no streaks or missed sections. Now that I know how to replace the rubber (thanks to vuvision and his excellent writeup on the info forum), I'm happy!

·
Registered
57 Posts
usually chattering and streaking is a sign that wiper arm needs to be realigned. another words it needs to be twisted a little one way or the other so that rubber of the blade can fully flip over when moving. its a common thing that is done on the volvos in our shop, and saves you money from buying blades and arms.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sharky said:
LIAR!!!

Everyone knows Volkswagen dealers don't know anything about Volkswagens!!!
And they're all a bunch of scoundrals too. Especially the ones in MO right? :wink:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i just did the triple edge replacement mod, it works so much better and is so much cheaper. I will never buy another pair of wipers from VW

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Some Rain-X helped (some). They still chatter when its been really cold (like recently in Chi-town-land).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts