Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Dealer called - Bad news, good news :( + Question.

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  puffmanxx 
#1 ·
Good news, the P1296 CEL was the coolant temerature sensor, replaced under warranty. Now the bad news:
1.The bad heating elements in the side view mirrors are FRIED => not covered by ?bumper to bumper? :crazy: :mad: certified vehicle warranty. + $55.00 dollar diagnostic fee.
2.Two engine oil leaks one in the front one in the rear of the engine. My baby has to stay overnight. :cry:

Plus, when I dropped off the car the service manager told me what the bill was going to be. I advised him of the certified vehicle warranty and he told me that VW will cover all of the diagnostic fees if the part in question is covered by a warranty. I didn't even think to ask if that applied to the mirrors :mad: because of the whole bumper to bumper deal. Now I find out that it's almost $170 to replace the mirrors and $55 that I already owe for testing the circuits.
Does anyone know if the heated mirrors are sold anywhere else for cheaper, or maybe I should just replace the whole assembly with something cooler looking. I've seen a couple of people on here with them.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

#5 ·
You got your mirrors settled then.. onto the engine..the part you don't need to pay for! Be glad and rejoice in this! My 1.8T's cam seal is about 400 in parts and labor!!! The other oil leak up front? Don't know what that might me.. maybe turbo related assuming you arent a V6er. Don't get me started on how much my turbo stuff is costing me :roll:

The ECU idea. Are you absolutely confident that the ECUs match? I believe through Wett we automatically got a 100 bucks discounted? If this is true, have you accounted this into the price? I agree it would be nice to have the ECU to swap. Never have .. too many ECUs laying around :crazy: :D

Awesome you got your mirrors covered and good luck on your warranty covering everything else.

#9 ·
D.Passat00 said:
what? mirrors aren't covered in their certified warranty?

i'm asking because my passenger's side power mirror isn't...well, it doesn't get any power.
Apparantly not, I guess the "bumper to bumper" warranty doesn't cover anything above or below the bumper, just the stuff directly in between. :weirdo: :mad:

#10 ·
D.Passat00 said:

i'm asking because my passenger's side power mirror isn't...well, it doesn't get any power.
If it isn't getting power, I would bet that is covered by the warranty. But if it is getting power and the element is just burned out, then that won't be covered. It is real easy to leave the mirror heat set to on all the time and that will burn them out.

#12 ·
kezho said:
D.Passat00 said:

Apparantly not, I guess the "bumper to bumper" warranty doesn't cover anything above or below the bumper, just the stuff directly in between. :weirdo: :mad:
A friend got his cup holder cleaned as part of the bumper to bumper warranty. Oh wait a minute... they are also directly in-line with the bumpers aren't they...

#13 ·
If VW sees that these heating elements burn out, why don't they do somethign about it, or at least why don't they tell people not to keep it off the defrost and on L, or put back an off option?

#14 ·
gig103 said:
If VW sees that these heating elements burn out, why don't they do somethign about it, or at least why don't they tell people not to keep it off the defrost and on L, or put back an off option?
The salesguy I bought my Passat from told me explicitly to leave the mirror adjustmet nub in the middle position so I wouldn't accidently hit the nub and move the mirrors.

I asked him if he thought the elements in the mirrors would burn out during the summer (which I knew would happen thanks to clubb5). He stumbled a little, and concluded "Yea, I guess you're right. Leave it in either L or R."

I wonder how many poor folks bought cars off this guy and have burnt out elements.

-Craig

#15 ·
Wow, I'm glad I found this post! The instructions in the manual in my '04 are a bit vague on this section. The arrows in the picture are deceiving. They depict that you pull back on the lever to actuate it. This made a bit of sense to me since my last 2 cars had a center off position for the mirrors (they were not heated though). The part that didn't make sense was how are you supposed to be expected to drive and shift while holding that lever back :???: ...it all makes sense now! The American automakers have ruined me... :crazy: Well, at least I have only driven with them on for about 6000 miles. I think the mirrors are sufficiently broken in.... :p

#16 ·
puffmanxx said:
Wow, I'm glad I found this post! The instructions in the manual in my '04 are a bit vague on this section. The arrows in the picture are deceiving. They depict that you pull back on the lever to actuate it. This made a bit of sense to me since my last 2 cars had a center off position for the mirrors (they were not heated though). The part that didn't make sense was how are you supposed to be expected to drive and shift while holding that lever back :???: ...it all makes sense now! The American automakers have ruined me... :crazy: Well, at least I have only driven with them on for about 6000 miles. I think the mirrors are sufficiently broken in.... :p
What's even worse is the traction control is always on too :mad: You ahve to remember to push the damn button all the time. You should only press the button if you want the trac control on!! Not the other way around

#17 ·
Interesting, my Passat's mirrors were replaced under bumper to bumper CPO VW warranty because the heating elements were fried... hmmm.... I didn't even pay for diagnostic fees.

#19 ·
Arj said:
D.Passat00 said:

If it isn't getting power, I would bet that is covered by the warranty. But if it is getting power and the element is just burned out, then that won't be covered. It is real easy to leave the mirror heat set to on all the time and that will burn them out.
well, i don't really care about the heated mirrors, since i'm in CA, but i'm more concerned with the mirror not being able to be adjusted by the knob thing. maybe i should ask them first if the power mirror is covered under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.