Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see this as being good material for a stand-up comic...;)

Seriously though, the dog (evidently a spoiled Yorkshire Terrier normally kept inside) howls like it's being abused when they put it outside in the fenced back yard. If it were the middle of the city, it wouldn't be so bad. The thing is, the owners can't hear the dog howling...it's almost like a minature coyote. :D

It's a rare combination. I could learn sign language and diplomatically explain the noise issue to them.

I've tried distracting the dog from his apparent dismay and it works temporarily. When the dog howls, I'll step out the back door and give a loud SSHHHH! over the fence. The dog stops howling and barks a couple of times then is silent for 4-5 minutes then starts howling again.

What would you do? No animal abuse suggestions please, as this is my neighbor. :)
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
I'd write a very gracious, tactful note and hand it to them in person - knock on the door, so they know it is you. explain to them you don't know ASL but are willing to learn some, but in the meantime, you'd like to ask them not to leave their dog out for so long that he starts howling. deaf people are very attuned to those of us who can hear - they realise what they don't have, and its not like they aren't appreciative or unconcerned.

you could also bring them something nice as a "howdy, neighbor, I'd like to be friendly" gesture - like some seasonal flowers, some baked goods, etc. they'll get the point, and you'll make a new friend(s) in the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Leave a note in the mailbox explaining that it is affecting your quality of life. If you don't like your neighbor you could mention along the lines of bylaw and noise violations, but if they can be reasoned with, inform them it would be appreciated if they kept their dog inside for the night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
JayTheSnork said:
I'd write a very gracious, tactful note and hand it to them in person - knock on the door, so they know it is you. explain to them you don't know ASL but are willing to learn some, but in the meantime, you'd like to ask them not to leave their dog out for so long that he starts howling. deaf people are very attuned to those of us who can hear - they realise what they don't have, and its not like they aren't appreciative or unconcerned.

you could also bring them something nice as a "howdy, neighbor, I'd like to be friendly" gesture - like some seasonal flowers, some baked goods, etc. they'll get the point, and you'll make a new friend(s) in the process.
x2, but i'd forget the note and jsut tell them in person that them keeping the dog out at night if disrupting your sleep. They'll more than likey respect you for just coming out and saying something then dropping notes which can do nothing but piss people off even more. Do you have a home association? if they don't stop, call them and have them send a letter to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,559 Posts
The Limey said:
x2, but i'd forget the note and jsut tell them in person that them keeping the dog out at night if disrupting your sleep. They'll more than likey respect you for just coming out and saying something then dropping notes which can do nothing but piss people off even more. Do you have a home association? if they don't stop, call them and have them send a letter to them.
Agree, first tell them in person and go to the homeowner's association. If that doesn't work check to see if your locality has any noise ordinance or other ordinance specifically about barking dogs and write them a nice letter explaining the ordinance. If the letter doesn't work and you have an applicable noise ordinance, contact the code enforcement office and file a complaint. If that doesn't work, you may want to see an attorney for other potential remedies. Otherwise, you'll have to put up with it or move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,330 Posts
I think the idea of handing them a note in person is that they can't hear what you're saying. :poke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
a nice note. with your name and address. None of that cowardly, "dear neighbor" shit with no name on it. They'll completely understand and take steps to fix it. Or you could be like my neighbor. Corwardly letters taped to the garage door, call the HOA, AND call animal control.
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Darter said:
I think the idea of handing them a note in person is that they can't hear what you're saying. :poke:
that was my implied reason for handing them a note, yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,154 Posts
Note is nice, but try this gesture instead ...


PLEASE ............................. DESTROY ......................................... LOUD ........................................... DOG

:whistle: :angel:
 

·
watchout, he'll put Viagra in your M&Ms
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
JayTheSnork said:
I'd write a very gracious, tactful note and hand it to them in person - knock on the door, so they know it is you. explain to them you don't know ASL but are willing to learn some, but in the meantime, you'd like to ask them not to leave their dog out for so long that he starts howling. deaf people are very attuned to those of us who can hear - they realise what they don't have, and its not like they aren't appreciative or unconcerned.

you could also bring them something nice as a "howdy, neighbor, I'd like to be friendly" gesture - like some seasonal flowers, some baked goods, etc. they'll get the point, and you'll make a new friend(s) in the process.
x2

Jay makes a good point. Also, you may be able to talk to them since many hearing impared people can read lips. I'm sure they will be sensitive to your concerns as long as you treat them like you'd treat any other neighbor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,330 Posts

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
Joined
·
9,983 Posts
vuvision said:
Note is nice, but try this gesture instead ...

PLEASE ............................. DESTROY ......................................... LOUD ........................................... DOG
I think I'm crying. Oh man ...make it stop. The pain, the laughter. It hurts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,876 Posts
Just leave them a note...if it doesnt stop, contact Animal Control, and theyll send you a log book, and theyll send a letter to the owner of the dog. In order for them to make a visit, youll need multiple neighbors involved. (At least where I live)

And even though the HOA has a dog ordinance, they told me to call Animal Control....so Im not sure how they enforce the ordinance if they pawn it off to another agency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leaving a note is out (haven't known them that long).

I like the high-frequency ringtone idea. I wonder how that'd come through on one of those old radio shack 4" diameter piezoelectric tweeters? :icon_evil

I could mount it on the eave of the house between the pair of floodlights. :lol:

Thanks all!
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top