Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've introduced myself in the Noob section and spent a week or a little more doing a lot of reading/educating myself on all things Passat after purchasing what i now have. I now know I have a B4 1997 Passat TDI. It's the U.S. model and why it's a 1997 B4 as Europe went to the B5 starting in 1997. That was very confusing to me in the beginning I must say. But I have noticed there is little to no action in the B4 section. Am I wasting my time posting here or do we have any B4 owners out there?

Roger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I guess that answers that...been roughly 48 hours posted, 80+ views, and no comments. I guess I'll go looking for another VW forum for education and problem help when needed.

·
Administrator
23,361 Posts
I wish you luck. This was started as a B5 forum at first and then grew to include the rest of the passat family. Since they had low production numbers and likely an already established forum elsewhere, it never really caught on for the b4. Try vortex? Also, it crosses into mk3 territory so that may help.

Even the most active subforum here may not see a reply on a thread in 48 hrs if there's nothing to say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks VAGguy for the info. That makes since then as to why the B4 section seems pretty dead (threads posted weeks or more ago with no responses). I'm learning the Passat world as I go here. Once I finally got clear on what I had is a B4 with the U.S. having them in '97 and the rest of the world went to B5 in '97 (that confused me for a bit simply due to the fact that forum descriptions would say "B5 starting in 1997").

I did spend some time on vortex last night as well and that seems to be more promising I think.

I appreciate the feedback.

Take Care

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish you luck. This was started as a B5 forum at first and then grew to include the rest of the passat family. Since they had low production numbers and likely an already established forum elsewhere, it never really caught on for the b4. Try vortex? Also, it crosses into mk3 territory so that may help.

Even the most active subforum here may not see a reply on a thread in 48 hrs if there's nothing to say.
You have a good point about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I guess that answers that...been roughly 48 hours posted, 80+ views, and no comments. I guess I'll go looking for another VW forum for education and problem help when needed.
I'm seconding this sentiment. I'm used to getting responses within hours on other Forums.....I guess this one requires gobs of patience and waiting.....just like what it takes to solve the error code puzzles/mysteries I am confronted with on my car. Maybe i should've listened to everyone who told me to stay away from it with a ten foot pole......:poke:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thought I would throw this into the mix...;)

For sale on orangecounty.craigslist.org for $200.00 not by me but just down the road from me.

b41.jpg

b42.jpg

b43.jpg

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
^Ugh. It's a B3 Passat with a four-speed slushbox. Perhaps a '93...but any buyer would need to already own a B3 Passat since new dealership parts can no longer be had...and No, you really don't want "generic" RockAuto parts on a 24 yr old VW.

With that transmission, I'd charge $200 to come haul it away...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Electron Man, you just answered a question I was going to ask, so now I don't have to start a new thread. I'd love to have a B3 for shows (that bodystyle with no grille is something I think is cool) but if parts are no longer available from VW, I question whether it would be worth it. My 2000 New Beetle that my daughter drives already has some parts that are now obsolete. Sad. You can build an old Type 1 Bug that's half a century old from the ground up, but nobody cares about New Beetles.......I've argued with Old School people for years about today's cars becoming future classics just as their rides are today, but now I have to wonder if they are right after all when saying that all cars 30 or so years old and younger will NEVER become vintage.....:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts