Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of help here before I wander over to the dealer.

The last few days I've woken up and my car has been dead. Jumped it and its run and started fine each day.

I installed a new audio system myself (components, amp, and head unit) about a week and a half ago. However, the problem just started 3 days ago.

Anyone know what indications there might be, or ways to diagnose, if it might be the alternator, battery, or even starter?

I suppose it could be the audio stuff, but its all properly grounded. The amps are turned on via a remote turn-on from the head unit. I simply don't see where the battery could be draining.

I guess I could install an on-off switch to the amps in the power cable to see if that's truly the cause, but I'd rather not right now.

Could it be that I'm overstressing the alternator too? I don't know what the output is, but I'm probably pulling 55-60 A from the amps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing it's original from 99. I bought the car with 40k, it now has 120k and I've never changed it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,308 Posts
Good place to start. I notice a lot of things happen around the time I would do other things to the car, making me think it was something I did. Turns out, it was just me doubting my work and it ended up being totally unrelated....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts