Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up this morning - and nothing. turn the key, and all the dash lights are flashing - but no spark. The car would not even turn over.

Boosted it, and it roared to life without any issues.

I'm guessing it's time for a new battery ?? I bought the '99 used - but it looks like the original battery.

I do not have much knowledge with all the electronics on these cars - so do I just swap the battery with one I buy at a local shop......or do I need to go to the dealer.

Are there any error codes that come up when you take the battery out - and if yes, do they go out on their own - or does the dealer need to clear them

Thanks for any help in advance

Bill

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spoke to service department and they told me that they have to clear all the error codes from the ecu when the battery is replaced.

I thought it was just the radio code that was needed ??

Does this make sense ??

·
Registered
297 Posts
What error codes? I have dismatled my batt numerous times when fitting my sound system... Didn't know there were error codes? Can someone confirm this? :???:

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
You will get that 'Low voltage' code. Well figures since you have just swapped it out.
It's not going to affect your day to day running.
Just get a friend with a vag com to clear the code when you get a chance.
Certainly not worth a $80 visit to the stealership.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i had a similar situation with the car not starting. put in a new DieHard International in and it was good to go.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
if you have an auto you should get them to reset the kickdown point...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the new battery at lunch. Other than the radio code needing to be re entered, everything appears to be running normally.

Thanks for the feedback.

One quick question - when people talk about vag com errors - do these errors show up on the dash as a flashing light - or do you need a vag com to even know there is an error ??

Thanks again

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm guessing it's time for a new battery ??
Bill, when you go to get a battery, you might want to make sure they test the battery and charging system as is, to confirm you really need a new battery, and to see if there are problems with any other components.

Although it sounds like you're due for one anyway.

Salud 8)

Ooop - I guess I should read the topic line more closely!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
JokerUNM
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing