Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I`ve toying with idea of De-Catting my V6.
I know there are no aftermarket pipes available to do this with the V6, but I know a company who will custom make them for me.

whats the opinion of the forum?
I know I`ll get better milage, and about 10% more power, but there must be a downside somwhere. :roll:

Danski.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Downside(s) - wont pass emissions, destroy the Earth.

Oh well right :lol:

Anyway i think there are people here who removed the cat and replaced it with a glasspack. Im not sure what i read. Maybe you can goto the muffler shop and have them just put some custom piping there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Now i am no expert (far from it) but i think i remember hearing that it is legal to remove or get an aftermarket cat if and when your car reaches a certain age? Was this true or did i read it wrong or what (its all from memory as i cant seem to pull up anything relevant here nor from google.)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
the irony is that some ass will take his off makeing a bunch of emmisons that make the rest of use have to complie with even stricter emmisions standards

why not get some high flow cats

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah...alright, no need to start being insulting, I was asking for opinions, and any possible implications, I WASNT asking for a slagging off and being called names, and also said that I was TOYING with the idea, not that I`d actually done it.

So I`ll think twice in future before I ask a question or reply to somone elses...

...cheers for that then !

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
To be fair danski probably didn't think of all these consequences.
Didn't you read that...I thought that was nice.

Don't get offended it's just that punk asses suggest this all the time with the idea that they don't care about anyone but themselves. That gets people excited. Sounds like you might be smart enough not to go through with it.

Don't take it personally.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Whoever gave any of you the idea that removing the cats would add 10% to the power? That's just absurd and wrong. You might gain 5hp from it, and you won't even feel that. But because your car will suddenly be much louder you will placebo-effect yourself into thinking you gained a lot of power. Of course, all the people that claim such gains have no before/after dynos to back the claims up. And no, there is no law saying that you can remove your emission controls after a certain age. There is only a law saying the the car companies don't have to warranty them beyond a certain age, which I think is 50k miles (but don't quote me on that mileage).

·
Registered
773 Posts
I will say that the cat's are not a huge power loss. Anything on the exhaust side (restrictions) is not as bad as a restriction on the intake side. The cat probably will add 1-3 HP on a 200 HP V6 engine. Which is not worth it. Your ECU will throw enough codes which will cause you more power loss due to spark retard or something!

·
Registered
358 Posts
i really don't think one car w/out a cat is going to reck the environment, you might have been reading the Green Peace website a little too much... industries are doing a much better job at killing the environment than some Passat will ever do.

down side... if someone is following behind you and you accelerate, the car stinks! But of course you'll be accelerating with 10 more HP :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.