Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody else watched the race.

I was disappointed that Martin's engine (and Burton's) blew.

It was interesting race in that it was so different than previous years. Mostly in the fact that it was one big pack of 40 cars barrelling down the track at the end. Pretty spread out. Almost like a normal race.

The pass that Earnhardt did on Stewart was pretty amazing. Amazing that he was able to pass without help.

My only question is this.... Isn't there a rule that you need to be single file when entering the pit road? Did Junior try to beat Stewart to the pit road line and fail?... And therefore was not in single file but right along side Junior? Why the hell didn't he get penalized for this stunt

(oh wait... I know why... it's Junior... that's why)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jesus... you mean to tell me nobody watched the damn race?! I know there are a bunch of "Nascar Isn't Real Racing" people on this board but someone must take joy in America's biggest racing series.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
you can go in two wide - fortunately, the road in Daytona allows it. Most other tracks' roads aren't wide enough. Stewarts driving finesse allows him to enter pit road faster, yet still be at 55 over the line.
Earnhardt got around Stewart because DEI engines simply pull harder in clean air than anyone else's do. Stewart drives his car harder than anyone else out there, so I know he was balls to the wall on the last laps - just couldn't catch him
Too bad about the Roush cars, though; my family has beome acquaintances with Mark Martin through his main sponsor - he's a great guy. My Saab techs 20 (!) yr old brother tears down Roush engines after they fail to see why they do. I'll have to ask.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
great race very enjoyable.....and nice to see that Waltrip walked away from that wreck because I was almost sure he was hurt after he got hit in the drivers side and then rolled. After driving a nascar this past summer I can honestly say that it takes a tremendous amount of skill. I Look forward to a new season :)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TDI... I'd love to hear about the Rouch failure.

Burton was talking on Trackside Live a couple days before the race about how they are going to push the envelope a little more this year. Wonder if they pushed too much?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
HalfGreek said:
TDI... I'd love to hear about the Rouch failure.

Burton was talking on Trackside Live a couple days before the race about how they are going to push the envelope a little more this year. Wonder if they pushed too much?
IMO, they got too aggressive with the cam. Looking at a DEI engine, compared to a Joe Gibbs car or Roush, their cams are much more aggressive. This allows them a bit more top end. BUT the same profile means that a Roush or Gibbs can pull away out of corners - this was clear in how Tony caught up rathrer quick just afetr exiting a turn - only to have a DEI car pull away in the straights as they always do during superspeedway races.
Who says there ain't nothing going on during a NASCAR race?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
They just made my Monday bad.
I had to drive back to TAlly from the Daytona area on Monday.
Crips !! I have never seen so many darn NASCAR dads in their big trucks taking up all the damn highway. You would think these clowns were rerunning the 500 along I10.
Them and all the RVs dodging in and out with the rigs..
It was amazing I made it home in one piece.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
curtis13 said:
dale jr. = "nascar loves my last name so my hole is bigger than yours, therefore i win."
i suppose thats why kenseth dominated the points last year :roll:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Z28Driver said:
curtis13 said:
dale jr. = "nascar loves my last name so my hole is bigger than yours, therefore i win."
i suppose thats why kenseth dominated the points last year :roll:
yeah but, how did he (kenseth) do at the restrictor plate races compared to the DEI drivers? the restrictor plate races are BY FAR the easiest to fix, no surprise that an "Earnhardt" is having good success at those tracks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts