Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beavis said:
I don't think you can. What do you think this is... a Benz?! Maybe the dealer can do it.
for your info i was just told to remove relay thats number 173 to disable the daytime running lights

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, all you need to do is remove relay 173. If you take your fuse panel cover off, you should be able to look inside the dash and see relay 173. I didn't see mine at first, but with the help of a flash light and some patience, I found it. My relay was black with white writing on it. It helps to have someone around with skinny arms and hands to make pulling the relay out easy! :lol:

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Any reason you don't like the DRL? with a mod this easy i might consider it if given a reason :)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Thanks guys, i wanted to disable my DRL as well, now i know :lol: . I have been thinking about it but never got to go look for it. As for why would we remove the DRL's?. Personally, here are my reasons :lol: . First reason is that i think i am able to tell when i need my lights or not :lol: , no offence it is a good thing but if you can drive a car, you should be able to turn your lights on when needed :poke: . But my primary reason is the fact that the car goes thru light bulbs way to fast. I am not sure about the :b5: .5, but the :b5: uses the same bulb for the DRL and the headlights, but a different density, stronger at night, which really takes a toll on your light bulb fairly quickly :mad: . I don't know about everyone else, but i swear i go every 3-5 month for new ones, it's ridiculous. This info was given to me by a VW tech at my dealership, and after talking to a few :b5: ers, i am not the only one going thru bulbs. Anyways, those are my reasons :weirdo: :crazy: .................Rah............ :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Rich P said:
gig103 said:
Any reason you don't like the DRL?
Uh-oh. :nervous:
:lol: :lol:

Personaly I like the option of turning my lights completly off. I don't have any problem with burning through bulbs like RAH does but I do agree that I'm a big boy and if I want lights on I will turn them on. A real reason to do it for myself was that I couldn't signal other drivers on the road when it got dark and someone was driving without their headlights on. How do you flash your lights on and off to tell them? You can't because your DRL's are always on.
Last reason to do it... Most B5's have DRL's enabled... I don't , just being different I guess.

vdub0195 Posted: 05 Mar 2004 08:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i found it easier to pull back a little of the dash under the seetering wheel adn rech it hand fits a little better
I have a 2002 so I can only tell you what it was like for me but I would have to say the easiest way to remove relay 173 was to go through the fuse panel. Once you get the fuse cover off it's easy to reach right in and wiggle that sucker out. I can't imagine that going in through under the dash is any easier but then again I've never done it that way. Good luck with the mod.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a web site for a group called Assocaition of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights [www.lightsout.org ] who have a couple of different ways listed for the Passat, and info on most other cars too. Info worked on my other VWs, but just got my switch for my Passat- so I'll find out soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rich P said:
gig103 said:
Any reason you don't like the DRL?
Uh-oh. :nervous:
the reason why you need to disable daytime running lights if you hook up after market hid lights , hid lights required a full signal strenght so when you hook them up and your daytime running lights come on with out turning your lights its sends a low current signal to the hid so your lights will flicker and shut off you could easily burn out your daytime running lights module thats why you need to disable your daytime running lights

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I can only guess what Rich P was trying to imply (and I thought he was joking with that Uh-oh :nervous: ). This topic has been beat to death in most every discussion group. My guess is he was saying "Oh no here we go again", but I could be wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts