Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001.5 (B5.5) GLX V6, when engine is running and I disengage the parking brake, the DRL won't turn on. I switch on my low beam and both bulbs are working. I was thinking it would be the fuse, went to check the fuse box but there is no DRL shown anywhere in there. There was "Parking" designated at #21 & #22 if I remember correctly. So I assumed that would somehow be it, replaced with new fuses but it did not work still. So where are the actual DRL fuses? Or am I looking at the wrong cause?

· Moderator/Administrator
26,198 Posts
Did they ever work? Is the car new to you? If new, the previous owner may have pulled the relay.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,198 Posts
You'd have to pull it out, apply voltage to two pins, and see if you get continuity on two other pins. Unfortunately, I don't know which pins. The wiring diagram in the shop manual might help.

· Registered
224 Posts
I just did mine yesterday! It was a bad solder joint (WHAT?! BAD SOLDER JOINT ON A VW? STRANGE!?) It was a total beeotch to get that relay back in!

It was the upper ~~EDIT: Upper LEFT~~as you look at the circuit board with pins down.

I dropped it in once and took me 30 minutes to fish it out so you can see my solution - wrap some tape folded onto itself around your wrist and stick the other end to the relay...

Happy fishin'!
-Tom

Attachments

· Registered
4,326 Posts
If it turns out that it's not relay 173, it could be that whomever the yoyo was who had the car before you put tape over the TFL terminal ;) on the stock headlight switch to disable the DRLs.

You can use this "tape trick" to disable the DRLs while leaving relay 173 in place.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

My low beams and DRL do not work. I assumed it was realy 173, so i replaced it. And still no low beams or DRL.
For next time, does anyone have a test procedure for relay 173?

Also, any thoughts on why else the DRL and low beams do not work. I heard a pop or snap in the car when we turned the healites on one night, and no lites. The hi beams and fog lites work. The side markers work too.

thanks in advance
Rock

· Registered
224 Posts
Rock.

Sorry, no test procedure, but I just took mine apart and looked closely at where each pin connects; figured out how it works, ohmed out the coil (OK) and then the contacts (OK) so i looked at the circuit board.
I don't think the 173 could cause both lights to not come on unless you got a defective one, and I understand you had the problem even before the new 173.

I'm pretty sure each headlight has its own fuse, and it happened as you turned them on, which would lead me to suspect the switch. Probably shorted and blew both low beam fuses. If you don't already have one of those little yellow "Buss" brand fuse testers, I'd recommend investing in one. You'll find two blown fuses in the panel in my pic above. Replace one and test the theory by flipping the switch... and the high/low beam switch (turn signal stalk). You could then take the switch apart and look for the black spot that arced and caused the short and fix it (electric contact cleaner and/or scotchbrite). If it's not the switch it's gotta be the dimmer switch.

I'd start a new thread (or search if you haven't already) .
-Tom

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,198 Posts
It's reasonably common for people to discover two blown bulbs when the headlights stop working. They blow is close sequence, and you often don't notice when the first one goes out. Check the bulbs before anything else.

· I Know Stuff
10,652 Posts
First do as scotts13 suggested.

The low beams don't work through a relay, if they are out the relay is NOT the problem.
A short in the headlight switch can NOT cause any fuses to blow.
A faulty headlight switch can cause DRLs and/or Low beams to not work.

· Registered
3,924 Posts
Hi All,

My low beams and DRL do not work. I assumed it was realy 173, so i replaced it. And still no low beams or DRL.
For next time, does anyone have a test procedure for relay 173?

Also, any thoughts on why else the DRL and low beams do not work. I heard a pop or snap in the car when we turned the healites on one night, and no lites. The hi beams and fog lites work. The side markers work too.

thanks in advance
Rock
99% of the time when we see this, both low beam bulbs have failed. It's EXTREMELY common for both to fail within moments of each other. As Tom said, the relay is NOT the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.