Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2002 V6 4-Motion Variant... :D

Mod List:

1) Mobile Coat Hanger (2002-09) pic
2) Window Tint (2002-09)
PerformX Slate 35% Front, PerformX Slate 20% Rear
by Tint King, 1541 The Queensway, Toronto.
3) Monster Mats (2004-04) (replaced under warranty 2005-01) mat pic
4) Euro Switch [relay 173 pulled] (2004-05) pic
5) Removed airbag stickers from visors (2004-05)
6) Kamei Stainless Steel Rear Door Sill (2004-07) kamei
7) Fukengruven custom licence plate surround (2004-08) pic1 pic2
8) Chrome Tailgate Strip (part #3B9-071-360) (2004-11) pic
9) VW Torch Light (2004-11) torch
10) Rear Fog Mod with dash light indicator (2005-02) dashfoglight rearfog
11) German Flag emblem here on front grille mounted on W8 clip (part #3B0-853-679-A-PWV) (2005-10) similar to this
12) Westfalia (Class II) Euro Hidden Trailer Hitch photos (2006-03) with removable wiring harness diagram here, write up here
13) Blue OEM Aspherical side mirrors (2006-05) (from Troopster's group buy)
14) Interior LED light replacement (2006-08) here
15) OEM Chrome Armrest (part #3B0 864 249B 2ZZ) (2006-08) pic
16) Sport-Mode transmission setting by VAG-COM (2006-09)
17) McCulloch 5300K H7 HID Kit [Classified Buy] (2006-11)
18) W8 Belly Pan (2008-01)
19) Pirelli Sottozero winter rubber on steelies (2008-01)
20) OEM Cargo Partition (2008-12) - for my Rhodesian Ridgeback.
21) USA Spec iPod Interface (Model PA11-VW6) for my iPhone 3G, direct connection to Head Unit (2010-01)

Fukengruven, eh!

Some NEW pic's (July 31/05):

Freshly washed, clayed, and waxed..... (July 2004)

Black looks awesome when shiny....

My latest mod - Kamei Rear Door Sill (and a new Photoshop'd plate :D )

"Haulin' Ass" in the snow!

Rear fog now complete!

My new trailer loaded with wood on Westfalia hitch...

Side view of the Westfalia hitch and trailer:

·
Registered
472 Posts
i think thats a no exit eh..... nice ride... where you postin your pictures from?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
lol, i can see your foot prints :lol:
I love the varient, 4-motion must kick @$$ is the snow :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mr_brent ... currently posting pic's from my office for now but I just inquired and found out I have 10Mb through Rogers Hi-Speed and any new ones I guess I'll post'em there. How nice of Mr. Rogers...

Hey there merk20VT ...Lovin' it in the snow! It is incredible. I was used to a front-wheel drive Toyota before and I was always happy how that was in the snow but this 4-Motion stuff is outta this world. Amazing traction. PS. I've seen your ride online and like your mods!

Started modding (tame at first).... Windows tinted, just put in Monster Mats, ordered my Euro light switch and a Kamei Stainless Steel Rear Door Sill. I'd love to do the rims but you know, the wife ...the money. At least the rims I have now are alloys and are much better than the hubcaps I used to have. 15" just looks a little small :sad: Of course my wife thinks I'm crazy that I spend more time cleaning and admiring my car than I spend with her but she does state it's better than another woman :D

Holy crap... I just spent 6+ hours detailing the exterior of my car (luckily I have underground parking) since it's pissing rain out and I am telling everyone if you haven't ever heard of or used a clay bar - GO GET ONE. My car's finish is now gleaming!!! It works amazingly and the finish feels like glass! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That looks CLEAN.
where did you get the clay bar, how much does it cost and how do you apply it?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Mother's Clay Kit (large red box) from Canadian Tire for $25. Comes with a small bottle of Wax, and a bottle of "Showtime" lubricant and of course the clay bar. There are instructions in the box but you might want to ckeck out the following links I found first:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=894942

It's easy to do and will probably take about an hour but of course then you'll want to wax it up! Use it on your windshield as well. Generally it's easy to apply. After washing and drying your car, you take about half the bar and knead it like bread and flatten it out. Spray the "showtime" on an area about 18" x 18" and form the clay to the panel. Slide the clay back and forth about 6-8 times ensuring the surface never becomes dry (addmore spray as required). You'll hear and feel the grit getting extracted into the clay. Once it sounds and feels like the contaminants are gone, buff it dry, re-knead the clay, and continue to the next panel/area. The clayed area will feel vastly different from the unclayed area and you'll feel the difference and wonder why you never did this before. I know I did especially since I have waxed cars for over 10 years and this was my first, and as you can tell, ecstatic use of clay. Then wax once done. Make sure you don't do this in the direct sunlight - preferably in a garage. You'll be amazed at how the paint feels afterwards. :thumbup: Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
wow :shock: , sounds like a mission and a half
thanks for all the info, i definately need to stop by Canadian Tire to pick up a kit, i just need to find the time and garage space to do it.

thanks a lot :thumbup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the clay bar will make my 99 look like leadfoot's wagon - then I'm on my way to CT! sweet looking ride and wow - nice detailing!

Ben in Ottawa

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Re: David - Toronto, ON (new pics!!!!)

Fukengruven, eh!

In honor of you

Now whats up Eh? I was from Canada, I was born in Cambridge Ont Eh, so
to you to!

Rich

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Finally added my Rear Fog light!

Well I finally geared up over the past few weeks for the rear fog mod on my 2002 Variant, something I've been wanting to do since I got my Euroswitch last summer, and collected all of the goodies to make it work. Well after 3 hours of work yesterday I am a happy camper...

I was nervous about the mod as there is much conflicting info out there but once I assembled all of the info and determined my plan of attack, I was confident. For what it's worth the hardest part I encountered was removing that damn #14 empty pin from the Molex....I think I spent 45 minutes on that alone.

[Of course it was foggy Saturday and Sunday morning and once I got it working on Sunday afternoon, the fog had dissipated
, but this morning I took a pic in the dark anyways]

A little dark but I'll take some new pics once the fog rolls back in.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Leadfoot, your variant is beautiful!! I think I'll do the clay bar thing to my jetta before I sell it. It looks pretty nice even when I don't take very good care of it - tornado red and black leather - it just always seems to look clean; but nothing like that super shine you've got. BTW, the green scenery in the background is gorgeous too!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts