Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
it's a common problem. i think some people have gotten it fixed by the dealer under warranty. optionally, you could try to cram a hose or something between the dash and the windshield to reduce the rattling (assuming that that's where the rattling is coming from)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I know what noise you're talking about... I had it in my Jetta. I fixed the problem by trading the car for a new Passat.

Sorry my advice was stupid, but I brought that damn Jetta back to the dealership about 10 times, and they could never find / fix the problem. It was annoying as hell.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If it is door, buy a set of door pins and change old ones they are prone to loose up or even crack. Set for one door costs about 10$ it will fully kill any door rattling.

Dashboard is harder, it can be partialy solved by installing upper strut bar.It will reduce part of torsional twisting of car,therefore dash will move less.
Friend of mine solved this prob by puthing all dash in leather. It tight up dash so there are no more movements and sounds. This one is expensive.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
cvela said:
If it is door, buy a set of door pins and change old ones they are prone to loose up or even crack. Set for one door costs about 10$ it will fully kill any door rattling.
Just courious, which door pins? Is this a "do it yourself" fix?

Thanks
Sorry choosed wrong word, those are clips 3B0 868 243. Number 3 on pic. You should not have problems to do it yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It may not necessary be with the door clips, it can be from engine mount
to a lose wiring in the door panel or the power window arms.

or

Do a simple test.

Stationary - go into 1st gear or "D" for tip and then try it in Reverse gear.
Does it rattle ? if it does - isolate the door and open it then does it still rattle.
If not - then the problem is only when you close the door.

So where is the problem now ?

Door alignment - it makes alot of different an off alignment of 1mm.
1. The door does not close shut smoothly.
2. It rattles going over humps and bumps.
3. It creaks when going up ramps and winding slopes.
4. It sounds when sudden acceleration
5. It is damn embarassing during red light or stopping when in gear !

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Stormysea have good ideas, you should check them. My advise is from experience of 5 Passat owners from my club. All of them had problem of rattling and oddly they were solved by those clips. 1 is B5 others B5.5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hopeful that I've found the answer...

An answer!! At least for now. I spent many hours on this site, and on ClubB5, studying posts and suggestions about various dashboard squeaks, rattles, rumbles, etc. It's sort of unnerving to hear how many folks are having variattions on this problem. A summary of what people have discovered by themselves or from their dealers includes: dash retainer, the screw holding the glove box in place, airbag canister either lose or rattling against something (usually the gove box), the "dash support" (behind the right access panel) missing its padding, and the dash rattling against the windshield. All the solutions involve tightening the clip or screw or replaceing the padding between two parts, except one which involved shoving fabric into the space between the dash and windshield (an odd solution in my mind). Today the dealer told my culprit was none of those, but was the HEATER BOX RATTLING AGAINST THE FIREWALL. I think he said the clips are less than ideal and had to be padded or braced w/ felt. Anyway, for the time being, I'm really happy -- the pronounced rattle at 1300-1400 RPM is gone, but the car just sounds better all around. I really hope it lasts. :wink:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Nenad said:
cvela said:
Just courious, which door pins? Is this a "do it yourself" fix?

Thanks
Sorry choosed wrong word, those are clips 3B0 868 243. Number 3 on pic. You should not have problems to do it yourself.

Curious, but that pic is from the Bentley manual correct? I'm tempted next time I go into the dealership to ask if they sell those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.