Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to follow this write-up to replace the bulb: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57708

I've got the vent out of the socket, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to unplug the wire connector. I can't find any of the typical release tabs or anything. It also doesn't seem to want to pull straight out. All the write-up says is to "unplug the wire connector from the vent and remove"

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm trying to remember from when I did mine, but I think I was able to do most of the work with a little straight blade screw driver. I got lucky, everything popped out easy for me ( and I never get lucky!). The hardest part for me was just getting the vent in and out of the dash.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i tried to pull out mine and i was afraid becaue it might break....
so gave up but just pulling work? with straight screw driver? :???:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I just did it last weekend. You just pull really hard on the wire and it comes out. I ran into the same problem. Just hold it close to the base of the wire.

I could not find anything small enough for the bulb either, so I just used neeedle nose pliers and pulled it out also. Nothing broke and I figure I'll probably never have to do it again.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys! I used more power and I finally pulled that damn thing out. I thought I was gonna tear the wires out of the connector before I pulled the connector out of the vent. If yours was as stubborn as mine was, I would recommend leaving the driver side door open while you're struggling with the vent wire connector. I can definitely forsee the mirror knob accidentally breaking off.

The bulb that my dealer sold me was a little different than the original one:

... but I like the replacement bulb better. The wire connector doesnt fit as tightly as in the original (which is a good thing).

Just as a final note: for anyone who comes across this thread in a search, don't worry if your dash vent comes out in pieces. It's perfectly normal:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I've gotta pull the passenger side vent this weekend... what technique did you use to get the vent out? Do you really just pry with two screwdrivers?

Are there any clips that hold the vent in place, or is it just snug (& sticky) in the dash?

·
Registered
718 Posts
just did mine a few weeks ago. bentley manual says to remove the cover on the side of the dash, stick one screw driver in the hole near the top and another screw driver in the bottom, from the side. then you pry the vent out with one screwdriver and then the other, alternating between the two. It does come out kinda tough. once you start working the vent out, you can get a screw driver between the foam seal and the dash bent and pry it out. you just have to kinda be careful, but yet forcefull ( I know, easier said than done ). Just be carefull you don't break any of the tabs on the top or bottom of the vent when removing or installing it, I broke one of mine, but if memory serves me correct, theres 3 others to hold it in. They're what gave me problems getting the vent back in. Oh, and make sure you have plenty of light so you can see what your doing, it makes things much easier. Hope this helps, I'm not always the best at explaining things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts