Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as stated .. trans is fine and shifts well and does not leak . my VAG COM scanner wouldn't read the plug or something also .. I've read that when the indicator is all lit you have major trans problems . the car runs fine though . 05 1.8 4motion 200,000 miles . . any ideas ?? the car had a heater core installed by a caveman at my VW shop so I don't know if a wire shorted or what . and the VAG COM wouldn't talk to me either .. thanks for any insight into this .

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
What does the Vagcom say when you try to hook it up? All gear selections lit up means the trans is in limp mode.

Many times when you can't communicate with the car the ABS module is suspect. If this issues started right after the HC was replaced I would take it right back to them as the dash has to come out so something might have happened when they were doing the repair.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
check passenger side floorboard for moisture/damp carpet and get back to us, also does it go into "limp mode" (all gear selections lit up) or is it intermittent ?, sometimes it acts normal

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I clean my drains out regularly and had the glove box out last year and blew the ac drain out . the floor is dry .the vagcom says check 16 pin connector or the key on . it goes through start up menu and all but when it tries to load data it gets half way and goes to the check plug and power . the trans in definitely not in limp though ( shits and preforms the same with no check engine light ). that's why I'm a little confused . The heater core was done 8 months ago that's why I don't feel that is it . this is my scan tool I used once to turn off the air bag light ..Super Professional VAG505 VW/AUDI Memo Scanner ...I have a feeling i'm going to drive it with my fingers crossed ..and one thing I've learned , cars don't fix themselves . I may take the seat out as it's pretty easy to do and take a look under the carpet anyway .

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
So do you have two scan arrangements, VAG-COM and the OBDII hand-held unit? I can't tell from your description, but you'll need an actual VAG multi-control module scan tool to access the transmission info. That hand-held claims to do so, by perhaps try a different scan tool to check the OBD port.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
fingers crossed on this end too, heater core......,now that I think about it wonder where the TCM cable goes/path it takes getting to the dash panel, dislodged when replacing it ?

·
Registered
27,598 Posts
The wiring for the TCM goes from the ECU opening, behind the metal dash support and comes out by the passenger side kick panel in front of the door.

Reactions: cchief22
1 - 7 of 7 Posts