Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone use to protect the dash? Has anyone ever used the Armor All leather protectant on it?

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Most people here turn their nose on the range of Armor All products as they don't exactly have the best 'formulation'. Apparently their "shining agents" can dry your surfaces unnecessarily. Others will chime in with their suggestions.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I tried 303 Aerospace Protectant for the first time this weekend. I realy like the matte finish it gives. I've used ArmorAll, NXT tech Protectant, and Vinylex in the past. ArmorAll gives shine but builds up dust and dirt, after a few weeks it began to show white stains under certain angles of light.

NXT protectant very shiney, 8) when full strength, smells nice, and you can control the amount of shine by the amount of wipping off you do.

Vinylex is similar to 303 (both provide UV protection with SPF of ~40), but 303 provides less shine, and more of the original "new" look.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I use "Low-Gloss" Armor-All (light grey bottle label) and it work great on the dash. On my leather, I use Mother's Leather Conditioner, and for the things like tires, door moldings, I use the "High-Gloss" Armor All. Never had a problem. I would never think of using High-Gloss on a dash..looks way too tacky and the dust sticks in it :wink:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
303 :thumbup:

here is a tip: get a clean foam pad applicator (like used for waxing) and spray some onto it, then wipe the dash with it, let it sit for a minute, then buff with a terry towel and then vacuum with a duster.....works great! no "ghetto sheen", nice dark black color. :thumbup:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Vinylex is a very good product, providing UV protection and a low gloss, "eggshell" shine. It also lasts very long. I've used it to cover up scuff marks on my door where my shoes hit it: they've never shown up again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have been using Aerospace 303 for a couple months now. It's one of the pricer products out there, but easily worth it. It's long lasting, no glare, no residue and alcohol free.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so after going to several different stores including PepBoys, AutoZone, ACE and others, I could not find 303 Aerospace. So I gave up and went with Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant for $4 at PepBoys. I know I could have ordered the 303 online, but I wanted to do it today and so I just bought what was available. It turns out that Meguiars works very well. Its not super glossy and it doesn't leave a greasy feeling behind. It gives a little more shine than a matte finish but it looks very good. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something to use on their dash. The only annoying part about using this Meguiar product is applying it. It wipes on very easy, but the stuff sprays out of the bottle at such a high velocity that it splashes EVERYWHERE! Therefore I suggest that you spray it on a rag outside of the car and then wipe it on as I did after the first spray that made a mess and bounced off the dash and all over the windshield. :mad:

Anyways, thanks for all of the recommendations.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
DubDude said:
Where can you get 303?
I've always wondered this too. Any brick and mortar places that sell this stuff?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Arj said:
DubDude said:
Where can you get 303?
I've always wondered this too. Any brick and mortar places that sell this stuff?

Find a Boating (Marine) supplies store in your area. They should have it.
OR use the dealer locator at http://www.303-products.com/

ALSO:

I've given a very favorable review of 303 Protectant earlier in this thread, but now feel I need to revise it. I used it first time about 3 weeks ago, and at first it looked great. However, I found that significant amounts of dust collect on the dash. Way way less than Armor-All collected, but still I would have liked 303 to repel dust, or at least minimal amount of dust.

Maybe I did not apply it correctly. Next time I'll try buffing with a MF, and then compare the amounts of dust collected.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Never use armor-all. Trash.

Use 303 or Vinylex or one of the 1Z products; each give a slightly different level of matte finish while 303 and Vinylex (I cannot speak for 1Z product specifically) provide UV protection.

Use a microfiber accordingly to wipe clean the dash when dust is built up. Apply onto a clean dash (water and very minimal amount of dish detergent works) with a foam pad and buff dry.

·
Registered
300 Posts
out of all the products, 303 the popular one (and expensive)

Glossy armour all has some silicone oils that people believe prematurely age dashboards.

There's one other product that works really well and you can find it cheap over the counter.

It's called Black Magic Semi-gloss, Dashboard Protectant (it smells orangy, but doesn't linger). I recommend it fully!

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Another vote for 303. I don't think I'll ever use anything else.

In addition to boating stores, you should be able to find it at RV stores - that's where I found mine in ABQ. Go to 303's website and find thier list of dealers.

I used Armor All religiously on my Scirocco's dash. It's cracked all to hell. Looks like the baked, cracked mud at the bottom of a dry lake or river. Just say "NO" to Armor All.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
23 Participants
David Henderson
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing