Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i insert the key and turn, the dash will flicker (reset trip and computer data) and a clicking sound from the car (anywhere from 2-10 clicks) eventually the car will start to turn over and eventually start. What could be wrong?

Bad Battery, starter cap wiring fault?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt get a chance to check the battery with a meter last night and today i am sure wishing i would have because my car took longer to start this morning than it previously did, flickering as stated above and clicking as it did so. However when it brought me home for lunch it refused to take me back to work. Okay, i am thinking it is the battery, the engine refuses to crank anymore except maybe once in a while.

I am replacing the battery tonight. But with that? Are there better batteries than OEM, optima yellowtop? Suggestions?

Also what is required to change the battery, do i need a vag tool to do it, does the dealer REALLY need to do it?

Anyone with a vag in the Miami area feel like doing me a favor if it does :D ?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
just about ANYTHING is better than the OE unit.

if you have the means, you can't go wrong with an Optima.

the dealer doesn't have to do it. If you get a check engine light and would like to see the codes and/or have them cleared, bring it by the shop. i'll give you a print out and/or clear them for ya, free of charge.

otherwise, you can visit our weekly meetings on thursday nights at Tropical Park.

always 30+ dubs there, and there's always a couple of us with our VAG-COMs present.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, i figured it out with a little help and didnt need to pull or purchase a damn thing. I checked the distilled water level in the battery, it was fine (no exposed fins), and after that it dawned on me. I do not drive very far on a day to day basis. 2.8 mi from home to work and 3.5 from home to school. The battery was never getting charged enough to compensate for the drain on start, so naturally my battery was weak. Jumped and she started like champ, drove her for an hour and she started right up again after that, if tomorrow bring positive results, a long trip is in my weekend agenda and all is right with the world for the moment, thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you live in miami, you know what our days are like. If this were some other temperate climate i would consider it, but the humidity is off the scale as usual and im sweating just thinking about being in the sun for a prolonged period of time not interrupted by water.

Also, on a further note, while the car started and ran today, it still exibited some of the same symptoms as before... suggesting that the battery is damaged and wont take enough charge to make the starting procedure continuously. Looks like its a new battery for me.

Are there any direct replacement optima's? Will they fit in the oem bracket, or would i need to buy the replacement thing from ecs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.