Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April 15, 2004 UPDATE!! --> Use this LINK or browse to post # 22 on page 4.

March 23, 2004 UPDATE!! --> Use this LINK or browse to post # 10 on page 4.

March 08, 2004 UPDATE!! --> Use this LINK or browse to post # 22 on page 3.

March 03, 2004 UPDATE!! --> Use this LINK or browse to post # 9 on page 3.

FIRST UPDATE!! --> Use this LINK or scroll post # 27 on THIS page.

In my neighborhood, we have squirrles running freely everywhere. Especially during the Spring time when they mate and reproduce, I see big ones and small ones climbing trees, fences, and telephone poles.

Routinely, I'd catch one chewing on my high speed Internet cable line (my cable line runs over head my house). :mad: I'd try to shoo it away, shouting, and screaming but it would just stare at me and continue nibbling on my line with this "WTF do you want, go away" kind of look. :evil:

Now mind you... I like animals but these squirrels are a nuissance because they disrupted my high speed cable service for a week last year when I had to call ComCast to come out and rewire. :mad: The agent said the squirrels chewed through so much of my line that not enough of a signal is getting through to my house. :sad:

My dog can't do shit because the damn squirrels are up on the tower where the cable line is. :( I should also add that the damn squirrels keep stealing and eating all my plums in the Spring time! :evil:

What the hell do I do? Spring time is around the corner and they're starting to appear again. There'll be more of them around when they start having fun with each other and the little ones come running around.

I considered shooting them with my bee bee gun but was worried about breaking any laws (the animal rights activists would kill me!). :nervous: Then I considered poison but my dog runs freely in the yard. So that's out. I thought about using a hose, but I don't want to water my neighbors yard and pool. Considered a dart gun but same concerns with a bee bee gun. What do I do? What would you guys do? :???:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Make it high voltage instead of speed for a few days.

Go get a fence charger and run another (bare) wire right next to the coax for the ground.

Much fun.

Pretty humane until you realize most fence chargers these days are designed to knock a 1200 lb bull's dick in the dirt...

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Spread some hot sauce on the cable. But it might work the other way.

Long tima ago our dog was chewing on the valve stem of my dad's car. My dad put hot sauce on the valve stem but our dog seemed to like it more. It didn't stop him.

Get the real hot ones, like Dave's Insanity.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem with putting stuff on the line (motor oil, hot sauce, etc) is that I'd have to climb the damn telephone pole and being that it's about 22 feet up, it's not reachable with my 16 foot ladder. :sad:

Problem with a BB/Pellet gun is that it's loud and noisy when I pull the trigger and the neighbor will wonder what's going on. :roll: Of course then I'd have to hope that the squirrel falls on my side of the yard and not my neighbors. I'd then have to explain a dead squirrel (with a BB hole in it) to my neighbors.

Problem with a cat is that I don't like cats. My neighbor has two and it runs around freely pooping EVERYWHERE and my dog would eat the poop up :evil: :puke: (Ewww.. nasty as ever!!!). The cats run freely for the last two years and I've seen more squirrels poping up then less.

Problem with wiring the coax and running high voltage to it is that it messes with electricity and the last thing I want is my house to catch on fire and I have to explain to the fire marshal that I lit up my house trying to get rid of some squirrels.

Do they sell Silencers for BB/Pellet rifles? I have an Eagle that shoots at 650fps but it's loud!!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
atomicalex said:
^ but then you have to clean up the dead squirrels. Blech.
Nah, just shoot em' in da but and then they run and die in the woods. j/k

I would just use some for of rodent pellets.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've heard of .45 BB guns....my electronics teacher and a kid in my class both have em. The electronics guy stuck in a laser pointer too so he doesn't even have to concentrate when he aims....... :lol:

He also used ESD (electrostatic discharge, at least I think that's what it is) to wire up a bird feeder so that if a squirrel touched it, he'd get zapped like mad. He didn't even install an optional part that lets you get thousands of times more power! Installing it would have made the squirrel explode :D Well...no cleanup!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'll have to go with the supersoaker idea, too...

Some of 'em are so powerful that it could knock a guy like me over from 2 feet away, not too much of a difference for a squirrel 12 feet away :D

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Citan said:
I'll have to go with the supersoaker idea, too...

Some of 'em are so powerful that it could knock a guy like me over from 2 feet away, not too much of a difference for a squirrel 12 feet away :D
funny, but I tried buying one, a few months ago (while the weather was still nice around here) and they shipped them all back to some warehouse. they said (even in calif.) that water guns are SEASONAL. harumph! ;(

so I'll have to wait for a few more months before I can even consider getting a SS, for myself. sigh...

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take for Bill to show up!

How about a slingshot? silent, but still dangerous if shot in the wrong (or right) direction.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
About this Discussion
163 Replies
53 Participants
Thumber
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing