Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with VW and their light bulbs not lasting?! I was expecting some trouble since almost every new VW I see on the road has atleast one light out somewhere, but this is rediculous! In the past 2 1/2 months, I've replaced 1 low beam, 1 dash vent bulb, 2 foglight bulbs ( right one both times), and one lisence plate light ( the plate bulb and 2nd foglight I just did tonight)! I even went as far as to test the output of my alternator thinking maybe its putting out excessive voltage, causeing bulbs to blow prematurely, but its putting out 14.03v with the lights on....seems normal to me. Why does VW have so many problems with lights lasting? I know theres gotta be other VW owners out there with the same problem. :mad:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Yes i did have that problem with mine, and it is due to the daytime running lights. They use the same bulb for regular beam and daylight, but a different intensity. So when you drive with your daylights, it is less intense then at night. Not good for that light bulb :mad: . I remedy that problem by removing relay 173 :lol: :thumbup: . No more problems

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I figured thats the problem with the low beams failing, but why do my foglights keep burning out? I've also had a license plate light and a dash vent light go out in the same 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
146 Posts
:???: ...well I don't believe the bulbs (or lamps) are made by VW. Hey, we all change these out because they are not meant to last forever. Some last longer than others.

second...now a days you're not suppose to touch the glass portion of the bulb. I heard this will prematurely burn out the bulb :p

and last...my DRL is a separate lamp from my lowbeam headlight lamp. The DRL is an H7 whereas my low and high is a separate one.

Hope this helps.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
RachaPassat said:
and last...my DRL is a separate lamp from my lowbeam headlight lamp. The DRL is an H7 whereas my low and high is a separate one.

Hope this helps.
Which car do you have?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That's wierd that some seem to have problems with the bulbs always burning out. I have had my car for over 4.5 years and only have replaced one bulb.....Oh wait I do need to replace a brake light that just burnt out. I wonder why some people have problems and others dont????

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
What bulbs are you using and did you pull your Relay 173 becky?

It would seem that a LOT of premature bulb failure can be attributed to running either low quality $5 - 15 "blue painted" bulbs and DRLs.

RachaPassat - What car are you referring to?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Even with DRL off, for the past 2 yrs I've spent enough money on low-beam head light replacement bulbs to justify a set of HID :cry:

- Stock bulbs went out after 3 months :cry:
- Philips VP went out after 4 months :cry:
- Philips VP went out after 4 months (second set of Philips VP) :cry:
- Cheapy ebay 85w bulbs lasted all but 4 weeks :cry:
- Upgraded wiring harness to accomodate the 85w Heon bulbs :cry:
- Heon bulbs went out after 6 months :cry:
- Just ordered another set of Heon bulbs :cry:

Mean while ... enough of this chit, I am looking for a cheap GB deal for a HID H7 bulb kit :oops:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
year and a 1/2 has passed I ran the stock H7 in low/DRLs from Oct to June of last year then switched to cheap blue/white, ran those till Nov then back to stock till now .. no burnouts.

High beams .. Stock H7 I ran the stock H7 in low/DRLs from Oct to June of last year then switched to Phillips UV and they are still there.

No burnouts at all .. total 21,000 miles. BTW I have spare bulbs all over the place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have my car in for service this morning to replace my bulbs - 4th time in a couple months. All under warrently, but a real pain. I have been out of warrenty for a while, but since the original problem was corrected under warrenty, they keep replacing them for free. The service manager told me last night that the problem is with the power going to the bulbs and the bulbs themselves. There is no recall, but he was aware there was a problem with the type of bulbs VW USA was using. He also said that when one is replaced they always replace the other side. This is because he said older bulbs pull more power which causes the newer bulb to blow out - or something like that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've had the low beam bulb burn out twice in my '02 B5.5. 1st time at 26.5K miles (replaced under warranty) and then the same side burnt out at about 35K miles. I asked them to check the wiring harness this time and it was fried, also replaced under warranty. Apparently it is not too uncommon (faulty wiring harnesses). I've had Philips VPs waiting to go in but didn't want any grief from the dealer with warranty claims if I'm not using stock bulbs, even though the VPs are the same wattage bulb.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My car is a '98 1.8T.

Just the other day one of my DRL's went out. So I went to the local auto part store and bought a new headlamp. Well it turned out that it wasn't my headlight lamp (low beam for DRL) like most people think...including myself :wink: . It was a separate lamp next to it...listed as H7 in the store.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Anybody ever thought of looking into PIAA? I bought a set and they were fine for over 2 years.....til i wrecked and the impact made them blow :( but they held up for a long time :thumbup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
My car may be different because my wiper arms are also the hook type.

My DRL is an H7...2 blade connection on the back side. My Low and High light lamp is a 9003 at your local auto store...3 blade connection. With the car on, so are the DRL's (obviously) and then with the activation of the headlamps, you have them working conjointly :p .

The logic could be that one H7 is not enough for night time driving, so the DRL and the low beam (if you want to think the low beam as another H7) have to work together to give you the proper illumination.

Frankly you know...who cares... :wink:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
well i pulled the 173 relay and my DRL's are not running anymore :thumbup: i'll tell everyone if i get more life outta the bulbs, i burned like two sets in a month when i got the car so i hope this works

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm figuring my car is a B5...'98 GLS. Like I may have mentioned, because of a number of responses from reading on this forum, I went into Advanced Auto Parts and got a 9003 lamp because my DRL was out. I replaced it in the parking lot...2 minute job. Turned the car on and it was still out :suspicio: . So I check again and low and behold, it's the lamp next to it that's out. I go back in and buy the H7. Tada... :bow:...now it works.

Bad news...I spent more than I should have.
Good news...I have an extra hi/lo headlamp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
17 Participants
RLC
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing