Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

!@#&!*%$! DAMN!!! 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.......

Tags
#and damn
2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  TOOFINATOR 
#1 ·
I was driving to work this morning and I was adjusting my mirrors, when....... POP!

The adjustment knob broke off! :mad:

Yeah, it's broken. I guess it's held on by a clear plastic piece.

Anyone know how to replace this part? What do I need to order to fix it?

Thanks

#2 ·
Crazy glue may work... post pics of the damaged parts and let's have a look at it.

How handy are you with a dremel tool? :suspicio: There may be a way to insert a small rod in the plastic shaft and reattach everything. Post the pics.

#4 ·
I know what you mean! Mine broke shortly after I purchased my ’99. Since it was new, it was replaced under warranty. Sorry, I do not have the part number.

I am not sure if you have to pull the entire door skin to replace the part. I seem to remember that the dealership did pull the door skin. If you have to, here is a good write-up (it is for door lock replacement/repair) that shows how to remove the door skin: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

Good luck!

#5 ·
Part costs about $25 from online vendors. Our club website sponsors above or impex.

Some people have been able to pop the knob assembly off with a small flatblade screwdriver and put a new one in. Others prefer to go more traditionally, from behind the door panel.

Whatever you do, take time and don't scratch up the panel. :thumbup:

EDIT:Impex website is down but i think this is the PN 1J1959565E01C - please confirm.

#7 ·
The same thing happened to me shortly after buying my 99 in March. Since the car was Certified Pre-Owned the dealership replaced the part. But they did so by popping it out from the front and gouged the faceplate -- I am still waiting on that part. By the way, I tried various glues to hold it on as I waited for the replacement, but no luck.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone! :thumbup:

I don't think I want to drill anything :nervous:

I will try and get the part# and try to replace it myself. Hopefully I can avoid taking off the panel :roll:

#11 ·
dgabler said:
trylka, a member in the past was using a peice of all thread and expoxy IIRC. Worked well.
All thread? What is that? You mean he glued the knob back on, or made another knob?

I don't want it to look jimmy rigged :roll: but I could try something temporary for now.

#12 ·
If you shop online for part# 1J1-959-565-E-01C (mirror switch part #)
don't pay more than $22 because, typically, shipping will make it more expansive than buying from your local stealer. List on it is 29.63.

just FYI :)

VW
RICHIE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.