Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well looks and sounds like I'm going to have to spend another 500$ to get the control arm on right front side fixed. I had previously fixed the one on the left side. This time around though, I want to lower the car, and make it a bit more tighter in the suspension. What do I need? Shocks, Springs? what kind? and if anyone got pics of how it looks lowered, please post. Also any information on where to ordered them for best price would be great. And I want this to make my suspension long lasting, so I won't have to go back to this. (quality!)

Any input is highly apritiated! Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
How many arms are bad and what is wrong with them? For $500 you could buy all 8. Labor
should be about 4-5 hrs for all. Also check the tie rod ends,they may be bad my now.
PZ.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm having clunking and intermittent creaking problems on my front passenger side so I figure it'd be best/easiest to buy the complete 8 arm kit from ECS Tuning so as to avoid the pains of doing this all again later like you have to. :mad: My biggest fear is that something else is the culprit of the clunking other than the control arms (i.e. tie rods, sway bar links). I'd hate to change the arms, rods, and links "for good measure" when really it's only one thing than, like say, the tie rods which are relatively inexpensive. I'm hoping I can easily see an obvious problem once I get the car up on some stands and start wiggling components around.

BTW, I have H&R sports (<$200 from tire rack) with non-height-adjustable Bilstein sports (~$400 from shox.com) on my 99 1.8T and I love it. Not too low, not too hard, relatively stiff but not unbearable to drive everyday. :) Any aftermarket suspension will be better than stock, unless you're looking for mushy comfort.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right front side sounds bad, when changing the oil i wiggled the one control arm on the bottom, and it made the most noise, the once up top seemed fine. Now I am considering getting all 8, but then again, what's the time frame guarantee that I won't have to deal with this again? another 50k miles? And would the modified / lowered suspension make it harder or easier on the control arms? or no affect at all?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
The set I changed had 100K+ and I am pretty sure they were originals. The boots
were torn on the upper ball joints,but the ball joints were still good. The front lower
ball joints on each side were bad even though the boots were good. The front lowers
have the most stress since the strut is attached to them.
A guy on Audiworld has drilled and added grease fittings to his. I have
torn boots on 1 upper and have a grease gun with a needle attachment. I
just filled it and will replace it when it is worn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing