Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealership wants to charge me $2k in maintenance, anyone know a good place in Dallas which I could take it to instead?

2 cracked engine mounts - $554.97
worn out control arms - $526.18
tierod ends - 375.04
alignment - $99.95
and eventually a 40k service - $430

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Henrick, get all of your stuff from www.ecstuning.com. I paid $150 for motor mounts (APR snub, and the 2 OE mounts on the side) and replaced them all myself. Writeup is in the Info Forum.

It would be cheaper to order all of the associated parts and try to get them all deliverd around the same time. If needed, you can take the parts to an Indy shop and be well better off then the $2000 that the dealer wants.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sharky said:
Couple grand a year is par for the Passat course.
On a car with 40k miles?

-Craig

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do what you can now.

Set a priority list...

The control arms, tie rods, and alignment would need to be done together.

The motor mounts...hmmm...how is the car behaving? Is there a bad vibration at idle or something more severe? If that can wait, I'd make that the second thing to do on the list, when cash is alittle more abundant.

40K service...you could probably do this yourself. Save the receipts.

Hope that helps... :beer:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Well a lot of that you can do yourself and save a lot of money. The 40K service is a lot depending on model year because the timing belt tensioner is replaced. I assume that because of tearing apart the front end it is mostly labor. You can do a lot of the 40K service yourself for cheaper, like plugs, air and pollen filter, oil an filter, bleed the brakes (oh snap, that's right, they don't include that in the 40K service).

Anyway, if there are some folks local to you willing to help, you can save a lot of money. I do agree to prioritize what needs to be done and tackle it. If you prefer to got he dealer route, maybe shop around for some licensed indie shops that might be able to do it for cheaper.

Good luck, that is a lot of work and a lot of cashish.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
chucchinchilla said:
Dealership wants to charge me $2k in maintenance, anyone know a good place in Dallas which I could take it to instead?

2 cracked engine mounts - $554.97
worn out control arms - $526.18
tierod ends - 375.04
alignment - $99.95
and eventually a 40k service - $430
Wow, yeah the good old stealership is at it again. I 2nd the recommendation of using ECSTuning to purchase the replacement parts. They have a full front suspension kit that includes all 8 Control Arms and Tie Rod Ends for $529.00US. ($599.00 for the kit which uses Heavy Duty TieRods, recommended!!) They also sell 40K Maintanance Kits which includes Synthetic 5W-40 oil, Fuel-Oil-Air Filters, and Spark Plugs! I don't know which engine you have, but the prices start at $120.00. Also upgraded engine mounts from APR are $50.00 at ECSTuning!

I'm not sure about the number of indy VW/Audi Shops in the Dallas but there's a great place in Ft. Worth called Tim's German Auto. If you buy those parts from ECS, they will perform the installation at a reasonable price.

Tim's German Auto
2632 White Settlement Rd, Fort Worth, TX 76107
(817) 731-9494
http://www.timsgermanauto.com/

Oh, here's a tip about your 40K Service! Make sure your mechanic documents everything that's done on the car on the invoice, especially checking timing belts and brakes. This way you are covered if a warranty issue comes up. Visit this website and check what items are performed at various service intervals.
http://www.vw.com/SP/SchedMaint.jsp?makeCode=PASSAT

I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^that sounds like good advice.

chucchinchilla - get a second opinion before you do any of that work... I've had one of the DFW dealerships make up all sorts of repairs for my car. Fortunatlely I took a second look before dropping the $.

do you have any symptoms that go along with these repairs?

If you can wait, bring the car to the next DFW GTG - April 25th. Maybe we can take a look at this stuff.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sharky said:
Couple grand a year is par for the Passat course.
I have yet to spend more than 2 grand on my car in 3 years of owning it, and that includes chip, new ECU, suspension, new tires, tint, typical maintenance stuff, and miscellaneous little mods.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Which warranty do you have? 2/24k with 10yr powertrain, or 4 year/50k? Some or all of these should definitely be covered under 4 year/50k warranty. Would the engine mounts be covered under powertrain?

Why not get a second opinion? Engine mounts should NOT go at 40k miles, even with hard driving.

Good luck.

·
Registered
800 Posts
"The 40K service is a lot depending on model year because the timing belt tensioner is replaced."
Where did you get the idea that the timing belt tensioner is replaced at the 40K service ?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
BlueGLX said:
Which warranty do you have? 2/24k with 10yr powertrain, or 4 year/50k? Some or all of these should definitely be covered under 4 year/50k warranty. Would the engine mounts be covered under powertrain?

Why not get a second opinion? Engine mounts should NOT go at 40k miles, even with hard driving.

Good luck.
I think that would be considered a "Wear and Tear" repair... take it from me, my dealership wants 300 dollars to repair my two CV boots, despite the fact that it is a known problem on the Passat.

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
PM sent,bring it by. We can see what is really wrong with it. You must have torn it
up trying to keep up at the last GTG :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts