Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Had a B5 S4 with a turbo upgrade kit in my driveway when I got home. The owner said it would not crank. I found the battery completely dead, but after I swapped mine in, all I got was a loud click from the starter and a huge voltage pull. Not a good sign. I pulled one of the intake tubes, put a socket on the crank and rotated the engine back 1/2 turn with just a but of force at the beginning. I was hoping the rings has stuck from being parked for several months, but when I rotated the engine forward, I heard 2 crunching noises and a clunk when the engine would not move any further.

I talked to the owner about his engine, suspected a dropped valve or failed CCT shoe and skipped timing. He mentioned it started running poorly, had no power and barely made it to a parking spot when he last drove it. He is towing the car home and thinking if he really wants me to replace the heads (and whatever else needed) or if he should just part the car out.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Due to my injuries (now almost all fully healed),backlog of issues with my own cars and a serious family health issue, I have stopped working on cars for now. When I start again, it will only be on Passats.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am retiring from working on cars. I may do some B5/5.5 Passat work from time to time, as well as free scans/diagnostics, but nothing like the last 15 years. I will still be on the boards.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Sounds like you've earned a rest. Thanks for being a great mechanic and garage day host over the last 10 years or so that I've known you. Your great work and advice saved me a lot of money, and I learned a lot. It sounds like with three running Passats, a parts car, and a Golf in the family you still have plenty to keep you busy!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts