Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am retiring from working on cars. I may do some B5/5.5 Passat work from time to time, as well as free scans/diagnostics, but nothing like the last 15 years. I will still be on the boards.

I have a Vag-Com and do free scans and free diagnostics.

Some of my work:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/56-anything-auto/298930-2-7t-carnage.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/56-anything-auto/302781-subie-engine-pull.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42-volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/325996-been-busy-sludged-1-8t.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/340724-diy-v6-coolant-pipe-seal-replacement.html

Email and PM are best way to contact me. I am available during the day and most weekends.

Paul.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worked on my 1st Volvo in 30 years. 2 axles and lower control arms on an S80. It was good catching up with Chuchinchilla , A former B5 owner from many years ago.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got to replace a set of intake manifold gaskets and plugs on an 06 Subaru Legacy Turbo. The gaskets were not as bad as I expected, but the plugs were tough to reach. Owned by PPena, another old Passat owner.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my easiest repairs:

Had a Prius in for water leaking from the a/c into the cabin. Pulled the easy to reach drain hose out and looked inside.
Found a balled up foil candy wrapper stuck inside the hose. Owner admitted to throwing it on the dash one day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can't ask for a better person to touch your car. And like always the price is right. By the way having problems with the a/c seems not to work sporadically. but when it does work it's cold.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Got a busy weekend lined up;

V6 timing belt Friday after work.
1.8T trans fluid/filter,fuel filter, oil change Saturday after work.
1.8T control arms and axle on Sunday.
Monday will be spent recovering on the couch.

Probably worked on 2 cars in all of July.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4 more cars this past week! Volvo wheel bearings are so easy, they bolt in! 2 timing belt checks (Passat 1.8T and Audi 2.7T Allroad) both had been replaced already, so owners have some peace of mind. Electric fan on a 1.8T, not too bad, but less room than the V6.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to change a clutch on a 1963 356 this past weekend. Not too bad of a job.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Paul, I'm so happy to see you're still working away on these cars.

Guys: I wouldn't have survived my B5.5 days without this man! :thumbup:

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Put a new alternator on a C5 S6 today. The V8 is a tight fit, but the alternator is much easier than a V6 Passat. 2 hours from pull in to out including a timing belt check and swapping the pulley and air vent cover on the back of the alternator.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Paul is the man!
When the struggle is real and your wallet is on a diet he gives the best quality for the best rates!
When I get out of college I will invite you on a milk shake mate!

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Catalytic Converter on a 2004 Volvo S60 T5. Pretty easy overall, no rust to worry about. Passed inspection easily afterwards.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did a water pump on an 06 Dodge Caravan 3.3L for a coworker. Much harder than it should be as the pump is between the motor and frame rail. You have to lower the engine for the pump to clear the frame rail. He only had 1L of coolant come out of the radiator and pump but the engine seems to be ok. Still have to replace his radiator as it had a cracked side tank. The engine was so hot when he arrived, I had to cool it with a water mist. It boiled on the intake manifold!

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have not had one in at least a year,maybe 2. The last 2 I had only 3 people showed up, we used to have 10-15 each time.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That 06 Caravan is still running fine but was not driving so well. The owner complained of a noise and someone had told him it was the sway bar links. The links had some wear and creaking, but not that much. I could hear some loud knocking when he pulled in my driveway. I jacked up the car to get to the links and hear a horrible crunching sound. I though the motor and trans was going to fall out of the car. Instead it was the top shock mount. The strut bolt had ripped away from the strut mount and the strut was moving around in the hole it created. Luckily it did not drop the whole suspension out until we tried to take the tire off. I had the compress the spring in the wheel well as it was pushed out to the side quite a bit. A new mount from O'Reillys and a couple of hours of work finally got it all sorted out.

The owner and his son said they were glad it did not break down on the drive over as they would have had to walk. I told them they would not have to walk, the ambulance would have taken them straight to the hospital next door after the van ran off the road and crashed :p

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spent all day Monday working on a 97 Pathfinder of a former W8 owner. Rear springs, all 4 sway bar links, front brakes, rear hatch rattle (striker plate was installed backwards). There were several rusted bolts and one of the links had the end crushed, it had to be cut off. It will be back for 4 front ball joints.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts