Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2010 Passat Wagon and the previous owner (I'll call him PO for short) has owned the car for several years and said it functioned normally except for two recent problems, a PCV replacement (DIY) to fix some PCV code and then cylinder misfires after jumping a vehicle. The car was functioning normally when PO jumped a Honda Accord and left the cables connected for a bit after the jump. Either right before or after disconnecting the cables many lights on the display appeared including EPC and the Passat started misfiring. Electrical problems appeared such as not being able to remove a CD and an intermittent rapid clicking from the dash. He took it to the dealer who recommended carbon cleaning due to misfires and replaced the fuel pump under a recall. There is nothing in the service receipt that mentions the electrical issues. (I found another page where he reported the EPC and Dealer recommended new coils and plugs as well so I'll start with that).

I took a cursory look at fuses and found nothing blown. I connected VCDS and could access the transmission module (which had no codes) but not the engine module. The battery is 1 year old, measured 12.4v engine off and receives 14v DC from the alternator. I checked the battery in AC measure mode and there were some tiny numbers jumping around like .1, .2. I removed the accessory belt so the alternator would not function but there was no difference in behavior. I put the belt back on and tried to drive it several feet but it shut off. No stutter or warning, nothing it just shut off instantly. I restarted it and then was able to move it.

If the engine module is not accessible in VCDS, in this case would it more likely be a CAN bus component or the ECM? Any ideas what else to try? I don't have the car right now but will probably have it in the next 2 weeks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts