Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 VW Passat Komfort. Cylinder#1 spark plug was smashed from electrode side. I changed it out with new NGK iridium spark (same as previous spark plug) plug and did the exact same thing. Is it too long of spark plug , bad fuel injector or the piston itself breaking the spark plug ? With common sense I know all the spark plugs should be damaged if they were “too long” but only Cylinder#1. What could it be ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also Cylinder #1 spark plug threading is messed up. New spark plug won’t thread in properly. Shall I rethread and see if it’s due to improper spark plug torque spec?

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
This is way beyond a spark plug issue.
Is this vehicle running? If it is, it has to sound horrible. For something to smash a spark plug up like that would indicate a broken valve flying around inside the cylinder.
In most cases when something like happens the engine is done for.

Reactions: Urlik

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
There's got to be more to this story.

Reactions: OldGnome

·
Registered
467 Posts
I also have a 2010 Komfort with NGK BKR7EIX and the engine is running fine. Even if your NGKs are counterfeit I don't think they could cause that type of damage. It seems like something in that one cylinder is knocking them apart.

·
Registered
2003 Passat GLS Wagon
93 Posts
Is it just me or does that one spark plug look like it ripped some of the engine out with its threads? Maybe it was torqued down by the local zoo gorillas?

Get a bore scope and look in that cylinder, I'm not the best with VW internals. But I do know that each cylinder is its own little ecosystem in a way, did something from the outer world fall in? Maybe a rock, a small bolt?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts