Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
They feel like shit, at least in my experience. Until you get used to it you feel like the car just isn't upshifting as you accelerate.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, sorry i should been more specific. i know how it works, just need to know what people think.

·
Superhero
669 Posts
I drove my friend's new Nissan Murano with a CVT.

Hated it.

The engine revs to 2500RPM and stays there no matter what the road speed. I felt very disconnected from the road.

Edit - Woot First Gear!

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
I hated it!

I drove an A4 with it, and it SUCKED. I felt very far from being connected with the car.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Had one for a month in a loaner Caliber.
Its odd; the engine revved to, say, 3000 and just stayed there.
Seems like way too much work for a trans to do, when the engine could be doing it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Had one for a month in a loaner Caliber.
Its odd; the engine revved to, say, 3000 and just stayed there.
Seems like way too much work for a trans to do, when the engine could be doing it.
The CVT isn't doing any more "work" than a regular one. In fact, it is probably less work without all the work required for actual shifting.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
mom has a 2004 or 2005 murano with a CVT and i have a hard time getting used to it. i'm used to my manual trans or my wife's saab auto but the CVT seems weird.

however, to people who don't care about "driving experience" the CVT is a fine trans. it handles the 3.5 V6 just fine and i've gotten it to rev just fine under hard acceleration, then when i back off throttle, it too backs off rev speed. i prefer the feel of a geared trans, but the CVT is so new it's hard to say it's wrong.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
mileage is fair on the murano, it's not an overly economical vehicle.

it's FTAWD, 250 or something HP, i think she gets about 20MPG. i would have to assume that if you paid attention to the vehicle you could do better over time.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Some manufacturers are actually putting 'software shifts' into their CVTs, to make it FEEL like it's shifting, because people were complaining it didn't feel right.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I would guess that mileage would be better because you can always operate in the most efficient rpm range.
Thats supposed to be the theory. But you almost need to learn that around town, say you drive at 2100 rpm .. and give it throttle up to that rpm ... then wait for the car to catch up. I dunno, its odd.

Between that and VW's DSG technology, I'll take the DSG ( it's in our Jetta).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Some manufacturers are actually putting 'software shifts' into their CVTs, to make it FEEL like it's shifting, because people were complaining it didn't feel right.
Talk about we todd did...

I drove a Frestyle with one and it was definately not quite right... That was the single thing keeping us from buying one right there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I drove a Jeep Compass with one. It was different.. didn't like it much. It did not feel solid. It lacked that solid feel of gears being engaged in the drivetrain. I guess it felt like a sponge if that makes any sense.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts