Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've starting hearing the ever popular CLUNK! from my front passenger wheel on cornering, typical of a CV joint about to go.

Anyone replace a CV axle assembly on a 1999 Passat? Got any tips, etc.?

Do I need a front-end alignment afterwards?

I would appreciate some feedback on how difficult this job is for DIY'er? I've done them before on older VW's.

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't you just love roads in Columbia? :puke:
I'd double check control arms before blaming a CV joint. But if you in need of replacement - check out C.V Rebuilders on Charleston Hwy. - they just did inner joint on my Jetta ($90 with axel off the car - labor+parts) :thumbup:
Never did suspension work on Passat (yet) so no detailed help here.
Good luck.

·
0 Posts
Sorry to tell you this but our classic clunk is usually the control arms, if your clunking lift that sucker up and check your arms, and while your under there you can check the CV boots and axles!

-steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to tell you this but our classic clunk is usually the control arms, if your clunking lift that sucker up and check your arms, and while your under there you can check the CV boots and axles!
Just so I'm not creating any confusion.....
The clunk only happens while cornering and applying gas (torque on the wheel). If I turn carefully and do not apply gas, no clunk.

I'm not familiar with control arms. Does it still sound like CA's are suspect? What would I look for on CA's?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
A bad CV joint while usually sounds like a clicking (click!-click!-click!-click!) from the front when the wheels are turned, especially when applying throttle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bad CV joint while usually sounds like a clicking (click!-click!-click!-click!) from the front when the wheels are turned, especially when applying throttle.
Yes, this is definitely a "clunk, clunk, clunk" (click, click, click) noise as the wheel revolves under throttle. It is not a single "clunk" It repeats.

The noise ceases completely as the wheels straighten out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replace one of the axles (the CV joint just snapped!) its pretty straight forward you got to get the correct tools 12 point star for the inside of the axle conected to the tranny mine is a 99 1.8t

I think there was a PDF manual running around here for reference

1 - 10 of 10 Posts