Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own an '03 Passat with almost 44,000 miles on it. First question is, is my car still under factory warranty? I bought it used about 14 months ago. Second question, both of my CV boots are torn, if I am still under warranty, is this repair covered? Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had my primary dealership tell me that they would not cover the torn CV boots under warranty (2002 40k when this took place). I call about 4 other dealerships and they all said that they would be covered as long as the CV boot was still there and that it wasn't from abuse/road debris. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just had one of my cv boots replace under warranty at 34k...there shouldn't be a problem..unles the people at the stealership want to jerk you around..I would take it to a couple of dealers if one says no

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Fyi, CV boots are apparently only covered under the original warranty and not the CPO warranty. To see if you're still under warranty, you can either get a carfax, call a dealership with your VIN, or call VWOA Customer Service (800-822-8987).

My situation: just found out both outer CV boots are recently torn. My car currently has only about 37k miles and the factory warranty ran out 10/26/06. I bought the car at the end of June with 33k miles. I've called 2 dealerships so far (including the one that sold me the car), but no luck getting any sort of goodwill out of them. Planning on calling VWOA Customer Service, but any advice or next steps for me?

As an aside, i've also called a few indy garages near me. All 3 of them asked if i had 50-60k miles and were very surprised that both boots are torn with fewer than 40k miles.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I m second owner on my 03 and my CV boots needed replacement at 49K. couldn't find a dealership that would take care of it under warranty.
Indy invoice was 130/boot, parts included.

As an aside, i've also called a few indy garages near me. All 3 of them asked if i had 50-60k miles and were very surprised that both boots are torn with fewer than 40k miles.
they obviously dont know much about passats.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
so i called around to every dealership within 30 miles of me and this is the verdict:

CV Boots covered under warranty:
Heritage VW in Lithia Springs - everyone was SUPER polite over the phone, from the phone operator to the service guy, Kyle. said it's covered under powertrain and to just make an appt.
Jim Ellis Marietta - said it's covered, but they'd need to evaluate first to ensure it wasn't damaged by something in the road (how do they determine that? anyone?

Not Covered:
Jim Ellis Chamblee (PIB) - "wear and tear" item
Gossett Alpharetta - "mainenance" item. this is where I bought the car (CPO) in June and the closest to where I live (about 5 miles)
Dwight Harrison Lithonia - "wear and tear" item

Amazing how much variance there can be on something like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts