Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take a left turn sometimes I hear a thump from my left wheel well. Took the wheel off today and there is grease everywhere. There is a perfect circle of grease from the cv boot going all the way to wheel well. :( I don't see a tear but I know there is a leak somewhere. How difficult is it to replace the cv boot and probably the joint? :nervous: The dealer will see the konis and neuspeeds and send me packing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found the tear. :mad: It is just a clunk right now but I am sure it will be clicking soon. What the chances of the dealer replacing it since I replaced the springs and shocks about a month ago. 2004.5 w/ 6500miles

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good question. The dealer will hopefully still warrenty them, while they could argue that you nicked it or something like that, I doubt they will. Are you taking it to Jim Ellis? I've found them to be pretty "mod" friendly from taking to a couple guys.

I wish I could help (if I was down there I would), but I can't find a good house for sale in your area.. LOL been looking for 6 months.. :)

Ryan

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rcassidy said:
Good question. The dealer will hopefully still warrenty them, while they could argue that you nicked it or something like that, I doubt they will. Are you taking it to Jim Ellis? I've found them to be pretty "mod" friendly from taking to a couple guys.

I wish I could help (if I was down there I would), but I can't find a good house for sale in your area.. LOL been looking for 6 months.. :)

Ryan
Hello Ryan,
I will probably go to Heritage Volkswagon. I have had good experiences there, unlike JE.
Plenty of houses down here. Matter of fact, we just sold ours to a family in Boston that only saw it on the internet.

Take care

·
Registered
73 Posts
same thing happened to me and i took it to the dealer in van nuys, they told me my warrenty doesn't cover it cuz i have 53000 miles on my car but i told them trust me it does cuz both of them were tore and the noise was loud. so they said if it does not cover it, the cost would be 70 dollars per wheel for parts and labor is per hour. so i said ok and the same day they told me that it is covered because couple things where broken because of no grease and metal was grinding to metal and i guees thast the clunking noise when turning. so 1056.00 cost was all cover under the powertraine warrenty. but they want a 105.00 for just lookin at the car when its not covered under warrenty, but yours does have warrenty so take it to them and tell to check it out and when they say it does not cover it then you can see what to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hopefully you can get the job done under warranty.
Iv'e been replacing CV boots for years - but not on my Passat - yet !

There is a an easy solution out for some cars or it might be a generic kit.
Does not involve any dismantling but can be made easier by taking front weels off.

You just cut off the split boot, wipe all the old grease away - tying to remove all traces. The new boot has a join all the way down one side wrap it round the shaft then use the special super glue supplied to join the boot together - must be 100% glued with no traces of grease in the joint. Leave to set then pack the joint with the new grease supplied, slide boot over the joint and secure in position with the usual clips.

Have only ever used this once on a car I sold a few months later so I don't know how long the repair lasted. It certainly still looked good after 2 to 3 months.

Much much cheaper than payiing for the job to be done and much quicker as no dissmantling and assembly to be done.

but a free warranty repair is the best option.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A good motor spares / acessory shop should have them or get them in if available in your region.

Don't remember name of the kit or who it was distrubuted by or if avalable in the US. Unlikely to get them from a main dealer as they would no doubt only recommend the proper one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.