Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that the CV boots need to be changed and it's not covered in the drivetrain warrenty. The warrently only covers the joint but not the boot....

:(

at 40k miles and it already cost me more than 2 thousand in repair this and that....

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Wow, what have you had repaired that cost you so much. You're not that far out of your B to B warranty so not sure why you've taken such a big hit.

The boots are a wear and tear item so I can understand them not being covered but I would explain to my dealer that without repairing them, they'll be repairing bad cv joints shortly anyway. They can do a boot repair and work with you on it or they can wait a month and do a CV joint replacement under warranty. Their choice.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
00Psst said:
Wow, what have you had repaired that cost you so much. You're not that far out of your B to B warranty so not sure why you've taken such a big hit.

The boots are a wear and tear item so I can understand them not being covered but I would explain to my dealer that without repairing them, they'll be repairing bad cv joints shortly anyway. They can do a boot repair and work with you on it or they can wait a month and do a CV joint replacement under warranty. Their choice.
Won't they just say they won't do it cause you were negligent in repairing the boot?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 bad hose ($80), 2 times the plastic cover that under engine room (between front wheels) dropped (almost $500 each), 4 new tires ($300), 40k services ($500), plus some other stuff....

and now comes the boots :cry:

I miss my old toyota... my first car was a 9-year-old corolla and I drove it for 2 years with only DIY oil change and one timing belt change ($2xx)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wind said:
1 bad hose ($80), 2 times the plastic cover that under engine room (between front wheels) dropped (almost $500 each), 4 new tires ($300), 40k services ($500), plus some other stuff....
You only listed one repair item, the bad hose. The others are either general maintenance or "other" in the case of the belly pan. Those generally don't just fall off?! I would assume it was not fully re-attached after oil changes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
00Psst's point is a good one, a line of enquirey worth pursuing.

The cost for the belly pans is excessive, unless there was secondary damage to other parts.

Tires and 40k service are not really repairs, but I feel you, your wallet is getting lighter. Point being, maintence on a corolla is going to be much less expensive than on any car equivalent to the Passat.

Finaly, its time to start looking for another place to get your car serviced. I'd look for a reputable independent mechanic.

Check out the thread I just started.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=941882#941882

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
00Psst said:

they won't replace the CV under warranty if the boot is damaged

Dave

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
crew217 said:
00Psst said:

they won't replace the CV under warranty if the boot is damaged

Dave
Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't sure if they would or not but it makes sense that they wouldn't if the boots are torn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.