Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Infinity kappa perfect 12 VQ it is currently in a sealed box but i would like to have a custom box made that will port up through the rear deck. Any pics of a similar set up? and any thought as to what it would cost to make?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want ported. but i am not sure i can justify 300 for a sub box no matter how freakin sweet it is.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't mean to put it in the wrong light, but 3-500$ is rather inexpensive for this. Anything that is "custom" I'm going to assume would be custom molded. If it's all straight edges, it'd be FAR cheaper to just build it yourself out of MDF. Once you get into custom molding, depending on what you want done I've seen boxes that aren't all that amazing run 1 to 1.5K. Very trick installs I've seen START in the 3K range. If you think 300$ is a lot to spend on a custom box...... I'd look into building your own.

Even fairly simple bandpass enclosures can run several hundred dollars, a simle off the shelf box to match the correct cubic volume can cost 150-200 depending on what you get. I've never seen an enclosure that I would use for less then 40-50 so, to give you an Idea.

Rian

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Not really, there isn't that much work involved. The box shouldn't take more than 2 hours TOPS to design and build and then the only hard part is cutting the sheetmetal in the rear deck. If you want to add a custom grill in the rear deck on the interior side add about $100 more. I wish I still had pics of my old setup so you could get a better idea. All of the work could be done in a day.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
No offense, but that box and even the side panels shouldn't run a couple of G's. I don't know how much you paid for your trunk work but for a couple of G's the port would have looked better and be covered in vinyl with a removable grill cloth covered grill.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing