Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process getting ready to order a TDI passat wagon (sorry, Variant in these parts) it came to my attention that there might be some very serious discounting of 2003 W-8 passats out there. It sounds like there have been a few deals where people are getting them 2-4 grand under invoice!!! Now I don't have much in the way of confirmation yet, but I did find a website that mentioned a secret $2,500 rebate (meaning factory to dealer, but not publicized) on w-8's in 2003 and 2003. I called one of my local dealers who has two 2003 on their lot and the salesguy was offering me invoice 3 minutes into the conversation, followed by "just come in and make and offer". The salesman also mentioned a meeting a few days ago with VW where the need for something to get units moving was discussed (my words) so it makes sense that VW might put some quiet cash behind blowing out some units that are not moving at all.

Any feedback? Short of really agressive negotiation, is there a reason these are going so low, or are these deals really happening?

Thanks for the info ahead of time!

Wm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this may be the wrong place to ask

I just realized.....like previous boards I have been a member of, its mostly the diehard fans and current owners...discounting new cars so much makes most of us cringe becuase it also means a precipitous drop in newer used car values...I hope my question didn't strike some as being too enthusiastic over a bad thing for many current owners!

My last VW was a 97 passat TDI...in fact it was at the end of the allocation and there were only 3 left in the US..I actually bought it in Canada and drove it back....I drove it for 1 year then sold it for what I paid for it....but only the TDI's seem to hold value..almost everything else out there (meaning all makes) is dropping at close to 50% in 3 years....I know..I've got a cherry WRX wagon that was a super limited production everybody wants it back in 2001 when I bought it...now I'd be lucky to get payoff....and I put a lot down!

Wm

·
Registered
917 Posts
Edmunds.com reports $2000 to incentive dealer, $500 loyalty incentive to customer (must be current VW owner or immediate family member).

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/volkswagen/passat/100348580/incentives.html

Maybe this is the "secret rebate", or maybe there is some other rebate. I've got a "test drive a Passat for a $50 gift certificate" postcard from VWoA. Maybe I'll go to a dealer to try out a W8 today, and see just what price they are willing to go with.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought my 2003 W8 in January. Had no intention of getting the W8 - I was looking at a GLX-4mo. Dealer sold me the '03 W8 for the same price as the GLX-4mo (do the math). He told me at the time that they were getting a lot of help from VW to clear out the 03s. I saved about $4500.
Act like you'll walk out in a heartbeat and see what they offer. Keeping in mind that this is the 4th new car I have purchased from this dealer in as many years.. (2 veedubs and 2 Subarus). He lost me to Mercedes last year and probably wanted to get me back... Still, he made money - hold out for a deal!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beavis

Did you mean $4500 off w8 sticker or $4500 off GLX sticker? Yes, thanks for clarifying that VW has something a little extra on the w8's to get them out of there at least as of January. The dealer I called offer it to me right of the bat at $35k (sedan, auto with sport package).

For me, if I could get one for $30k it might pull me away from waiting for a TDI Variant custom ordered with leather, etc for around 28k sticker. They might even offer the 1.9% financing as well.

Wm

·
Registered
917 Posts
This afternoon, I saw a silver '03 W8 sedan at $7k off the w8 sticker. It's at Maund in Austin, if you feel it calling you. Tip without sport package.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The discounts are real. The only problem is finding left over cars with low miles and your color combination. With some patience and showing the dealer you are serious will get you to the low $30's no sweat.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When I was looking for my 6-sp wagon, I talked to a few dealers that had 03 cars that were celebrating their birthdays (over 1 year @ the dealer) on the lots!!!

Of course, they were all tip sedans, but still...

·
Registered
871 Posts
$30K MUST be doible on 2003 W8. They get about $4K from VW + loyalty $500. And they gotta move them. I got W8 when looking for GLX. Actually, 4Mo GLX was a bit higher in price then W8. Beats me why, must be the gas milage. Even though it's improving with 3K on odometer, it will be very close to V6 after first oil change, I am sure. But you get more car for the money and you are sure not to see another one "just like" yours everywhere you go.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: beavis

Willman67 said:
Did you mean $4500 off w8 sticker or $4500 off GLX sticker?

Wm
Off W8 sticker. I was also comparing price to an 04 GLX 4mo. I would have asked for a silver or grayish color (easier to keep clean), but took the bait on the pacific blue W8. I'm happy with my choice. The other consideration was MPG, but the V6 4mo is rated only 1 MPG higher, so I figured what the hell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info

Thanks for the info about Brownsville. I'm guessing its a 2003 as well.

I actually saw a 2002 still on a lot this weekend!!! They had a sticker dropping the price from list of 38,440 to 34,440. The car had about 6k miles on it. Think about having a car on the lot for a year and a half!!!!!!

I would love if someone could verify that there is 4k in money on the passat w8's to the dealer. That could amount to at least 9k total dscount room right there (sticker to invoice, then VW incentive). Looking kind of interesting.

I may take a dealer up on the offer of an overnight test drive.

Wm

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Have you ever tried www.carquotes.ca (Canada - sorry don't know about the US). Before I bought my Passat I order the dealer pricing and realize they make about $4000 profit on one sale. I got my dealer to drop about $2500 off the price. Only cost me about $30 and I found out various configurations. Gotta like saving cash :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts