Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have made the jump, how do you like it so far? I haven't driven one yet, just sat in one. If no major reliability problems show up in the near future, this car already seems irresistible :) I fear that if I drive it, I won't even be able to resist until it is time to retire the B5.5. I just hit almost 103K and I recently had a mega-timing belt job done and will soon have a CV boot change and front shocks, with the hope of putting at least another 60-70K in three years. Who knows, by then we might be looking at a 220-230Hp engine, with more standard options, etc.

The current base 2.0T with a manual transmission already looks like a great value. There are no comparable cars in its price range. No car with the same size, same driving dynamics, same level of standard equipement, and same power and fuel economy, at a similar price, all with a 6-speed manual :)

And who knows, when it is time to replace my current car, perhaps I will be willing to sacrifice myself and put up with a sunroof in order to have some extra goodies, if they are worth it ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Own a 2001 B5 GLX with 91,000 and just got an '07 B6 2.0T this week for the wife to replace her old Honda. I was wary of the 4-cyl turbo as I'm used to the V-6, but so far so good. Car is much quieter than I expected and I'm really starting to appreciate alot of the improvements they've made in the 2 generations since mine was built.

I did a TON of research prior and was/am concerned about reliability, so I'll be watching like a hawk.

Funny, my car never felt old to me until this week...

·
Registered
195 Posts
b5.5 and b6 here

well I own a B5.5 2003 1.8 coming from a 2001 B5. I just got a 2007 B6 for my wife 2 weeks ago and I still love my car. Yes there is much improvement especially in the turbo lag and the size and feel of the car is much more stable and pronounced, but hell the B5s have so much more character to me. I stare at mine more than hers in the garage when i drive in. :)
You will love the engine feel of the new one for sure

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I traded an '03 GLX 4MO on an '06 4MO. Does the B5.5 have more visual "character" and a smoother, quieter ride? Yes. Does the B6 have more interior room; more power (in spades); better handling; more trunk space; fold-down rear seats; 18 gallon gas tank, etc.? Yes. If you're nostalgic, stay with the B5.5. If you actually want a better all-around car, take a very serious look at the B6.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts