Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a cure for the rough idle while in drive? My POS Passat shakes very badly. I have had it in three different dealerships and not one could tell me anything besides "Oh, thats normal". Its not normal to not be able to see yourself in the mirror because the car is shakeing so bad. Please help!!!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
how bad is the shaking? 3 dealers and nobody can figure it out? yikes.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
pospassat said:
Anyone know of a cure for the rough idle while in drive? My POS Passat shakes very badly. I have had it in three different dealerships and not one could tell me anything besides "Oh, thats normal". Its not normal to not be able to see yourself in the mirror because the car is shakeing so bad. Please help!!!
I'm not sure if you fall under the coilpack recall, but I just got mine done on my 03 wagon and it made things smoother. I had slightly rough idle and progressively getting worse, but I thought it was due to my aftermaket exhaust being hung unevenly. However, with the L-coil packs, it now idles smoother and my MPG is coming back up again.

If coil packs aren't curing, then I'll look into new sets of spark plugs..... and if that doesn't cure things, then I'll also try re-adjusting/replacing the snub mount.

BTW, if you just picked up a brand new tiptronic passat, then the slightly rough idle in "D" is common. You just need to do some drivning around until you pass 10K to 15K miles. Maybe our little 1.8T requires that much miles for complete break-in?...

Hope this helps

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 98 w/ 83k - all regular maintence done. It is shaking in a way that I dont feel is normal having driven Asian cars for so long. Maybe I am expecting too much from the Germans. Just got it back from dealer, had new OE turbo installed and major tune up done. I wish someone would just steal this thing and run it into a tree. Anyone want to earn a few hundred dollars? :evil:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
it sounds coil-pack related. the ony thing is that your car didn't have coil pack problems. however, there were issues with the ICM, which if I recal correctly, sends the power to the coils.

it sits on the airbox and is supposedly an easy fix. i think if you do a search for "ICM" you'll find some good info.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, regular maintenance doesn't include cleaning the throttle body. I had a very rough idle at 65k. I took off the throttle body and cleaned the crap out of it. Now the idle is so smooth I cant even tell if the car is on anymore.

This is a very easy job, all you need is an allen wrench to remove 4 allen bolts.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
how long does it take to clean?

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you have a 98 model Passat, I'd also be checking all the vacuum hoses for cracks. Especially the one that goes from the front side of the inlet manifold to the turbo bypass valve. While you're at it, check the hose that goes from the back of the inlet manifold to the fuel pressure regulator.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I'd bet this Wynn's stuff I use would make a huge improvement on that car. Or the BG stuff I used to use would probably, too.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
F. Monger said:
Well, regular maintenance doesn't include cleaning the throttle body. I had a very rough idle at 65k. I took off the throttle body and cleaned the crap out of it. Now the idle is so smooth I cant even tell if the car is on anymore.

This is a very easy job, all you need is an allen wrench to remove 4 allen bolts.
Hey someone in moorpark! Finally a B5 member close by :wink:. Sorry for hijack.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
sounds like you're talking about the shake when you have you foot on the brake while in drive. now everyone is thinking all kinds of crazy stuff because that wasn't specified. or maybe i'm wrong. :crazy:

....i've tried for years to figure out what it is, been to many different shops asking and everyone says, "it's normal, don't worry about it"

so i finally accepted it. unfortunately, that's the only way to "fix" it. :roll:

-harry

·
Registered
528 Posts
TUR-80 said:
If you have a 98 model Passat, I'd also be checking all the vacuum hoses for cracks. Especially the one that goes from the front side of the inlet manifold to the turbo bypass valve. While you're at it, check the hose that goes from the back of the inlet manifold to the fuel pressure regulator.
Yea, I just fixed this problem with my 2001.5 yesterday. What are you idling at, how many rpms? My vacuum hose was split right at the spot where it enters the manifold. I just patched it and now my car is a lot quieter and is pulling harder.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, as of recently, I have done the following:

1. New OE turbo
2. New 225hp TT DV
3. Cleaned and Re-oiled K&N
4. Cleaned MAF
5. New fuel filter
6. New vacuum hose from DV to intake

The only thing left to do is clean the throttle body and replace the other vacuum hoses as far as I know, am I missing something?

Has anyone had problems with the fuel pressure regulator? Mine makes a constant fluttering sound - is this normal?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SDPassatT said:
sounds like you're talking about the shake when you have you foot on the brake while in drive. now everyone is thinking all kinds of crazy stuff because that wasn't specified. or maybe i'm wrong. :crazy:

....i've tried for years to figure out what it is, been to many different shops asking and everyone says, "it's normal, don't worry about it"

so i finally accepted it. unfortunately, that's the only way to "fix" it. :roll:

-harry
So are you saying that there is no fix for it and that it acually is "normal"?

I have a 99 V6 and when I replaced the injectors around 80k the car really smoothed out.
How much did that set you back? $$$$ :mad: :mad: :mad: I am so fed up with this car!!!

Yea, I just fixed this problem with my 2001.5 yesterday. What are you idling at, how many rpms? My vacuum hose was split right at the spot where it enters the manifold. I just patched it and now my car is a lot quieter and is pulling harder.
I did replace that one hose but have not got around to doing the others yet. It does pull harder and runs smoother on the road but it is still idling like sh!t. Any suggestions? Could one of those hoses be the culprit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its more then likely coil pack related. They OE tend to burn out easily esp. Im currently on my first set of coils for 20k miles Pushing plenty of throttle and racing. Next you will blow plugs. And cause misfires after 15k miles. Then the vicious cycle repeats ill bet these coil packs blow. Looks like theres a new improved set available online. Thats German engineering for you.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,988 Posts
Its more then likely coil pack related. They OE tend to burn out easily esp. Im currently on my first set of coils for 20k miles Pushing plenty of throttle and racing. Next you will blow plugs. And cause misfires after 15k miles. Then the vicious cycle repeats ill bet these coil packs blow. Looks like theres a new improved set available online. Thats German engineering for you.
What? You do know you resurrected a 17 year old thread, right? What was your point? Your comment makes no sense. What year is your passat?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What? You do know you resurrected a 17 year old thread, right? What was your point? Your comment makes no sense. What year is your passat?
I am thinking he's a new member and didn't realize the date.

I started reading the comments thinking it was a new post till I read the one about coilpacks being replaced under a recall lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts