Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am picking up the FK hightec cup kit tomorrow :lol: , but i really don't want to spend $200 on the install :roll: .
I think it's only three bolts to worry about, but i might be wrong. I know this kit comes pre-essembled, so it should be just a bolt on.
Does anyone know what tools would i need? Is there anything i should be intimidated by? I tried the information forum, but there is no direction on how to install it.

- thanx -
- merk20vt-

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
it's not "pre-assembled" per se, you're still going to have to reuse your OEM upper strut cap. which means taking apart the oem set up and assembling your cup kit.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that our rear springs and shocks are separate. Would I need to compress the spring to fit it in the back? or do you think the cup kit will come with a new set-up?

any input is welcome :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
the rear spring/shocks are cake. you dont need to do any compressing or whatever in the rears. just replace it with the new shocks/springs.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
the back is pretty easy- no worries on compressors or anything- you can put the springs in while the dampers are off the car (the car will be on jack stands (?)), then use the jack to push up on the suspension linkage and bolt the bottoms of the struts in place. Use LocTite!

The fronts are more in depth- you need a spring compressor and an impact wrench (or a never tiring set of arms!) to take apart the strut assembly. You reassemble it using the "hat" from the original assembly on the new stuff. Then put it back in.

what have you attempted in the past? Its not hard, but you need to have plenty of tools, time and organization skills to keep the parts straight- you will be removing several bolts but none that are easily confused with each other. You need to hold the strut in place while bolting it in (good to have a friend handy)... etc... hardly rocket science, but perhaps not a good "first" project.

If you can do the rears, maybe you can get the fronts done for less?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:weirdo: I don't have too much experience. Maybe I should leave this to the pro's and save the headache for another day.

Thanx for the info guys
-merk20vt-

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to tell you guys that I got my FK cup kit installed on friday. At first I thought the drop was too much, the car has about one finger in the front and one in the back. But, as I've been driving it around, the car handles amazingly with a great ride. There is almost no sign of body-roll and nose dive/squat is completely eliminated. As fo the actually ride quality, it is almost like stock, except you can feel the stiffer springs. Speed bumps aren't a big deal, because the car still has a good 7 inched of ground clearance, and driveways are not bad as long as you come in at the right angle.

-merk20vt-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
merk20VT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing