Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got back on from an 1800 mile trip (to Seattle and back) and the cruise control did not work the entire time. Ever since I got the car, the cruise has been an intermittent problem, but it would usually work if I played with the switch enough. Now it does not work at all.

My question is whether there is any troubleshooting I can do to narrow down what the problem is? I checked for vacuum leaks with a tester and did not find any. I am sure a leak is still possible somewhere, but I don't want to run around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to fix this problem. Is there a way to test the vacuum switched on the clutch and brake pedals? What about the steering column switch? Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
cruise control module behind dash on driver side, silver box up behind where the headlight switch is. also the vacuum pump in the left front fender near headlight, check and see if it is operating properly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm working on the cruise on my 95 Passat right now. The cruise module is behind and connected to the center console. This is directly underneath the heater controls.

It could be the Jetta that had it by the headlight switch or else maybe it depends on the model year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah,If you have a 1995 passat glx vr6....the CC module is behind the center console....I'm currently working on mine also...has'nt worked for yrs. Lets compare notes!! I actually think I found a wiring mistake in my car. Unfortunately I don't have a repair manual, just a schematic of the CC circuit. Have you guys found the 4-pin connector labeled T4b? I would like to compare color codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vagatheart.......if yours has an intermittant problem...it could be the switch...you should start by seeing if you have voltage to your switch.....remove the plastic covers around the ignition switch...there you can see the wires coming from the cruise control switch to a 4-pin connector. What year is your passat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a 1997 GLX wagon. I had my trusty hometown mechanic take a look at it for a second when I first bought the car, and he said it was probably the switch. I was just wondering if that was what it is for sure. And if it's worth the money to fix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well after looking into this further, it seems my problem might be in the TCM. I have continuity from the fuse to the TCM...but no voltage coming from the TCM.. If you have voltage at your switch..it shouldn't be that complicated.:thumbup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ian at gti vr6 did a good write-up a long time ago..

http://gti-vr6.net/library/electrical/debug_cruise_control.html

I don't think it addresses the TCM issue, though.

there are many ways the cruise can fail. Mine has two modes - one is that in cold weather the pump and/or valve fail to pump at first but they will if I hold the SET button down long enough to warm them up.

My cruise is also dropping out either from a malfunction in the cruise module or else the cruise module is detecting the operation to be abnormal and tripping out for safety's sake. I am logging this on vwvortex in the 12V VR6 forum. I would have done this here except the traffic is many times higher on vortex. I hope is ok to make the cross-reference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
re cruise not working

I have a 93 vr6.glx..cruise not working either, but i read somewhere about a switch under the brake or clutch pedal, I tried setting the cruise control while lifting up the pedal with my toe..and the cruise engaged...but not every time..but it tells me the problem might be in that switch...by the way I recently replaced the heater core...anybody need advice on that, I am now an expert..lol
okanagan7

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any updates for this yet? My new (to me) Passat came without this working (95 GLX VR6 wagon), and it's something I'd like to fix before summer hits!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, I'm not gonna be coming to this site too often. If you want alot of info on VWs go to vwvortex.com. there are a couple of threads going about cruise control over there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To: MK3

I have done effectively zero troubleshooting so far. Just know that the damn thing has absolutely no response. Next week I have off (Spring break), so I hope to get a couple of things done with the sudden appearance of "free" time.

Any tips on what the good first things to check out/fix/eliminate for this problem? If it turns out to be just some fuse or equally obvious thing I've overlooked, I'm going to cease using this handle out of embarrassment...

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's not likely to be a fuse. please use the link in my previous post that goes to the troubleshooting procedure. The cruise is like a house of cards - many things have to be just right for it to turn on - for good reason:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine doesn't work either ha. I found that usually it's the stupid little things that most people look over to be the culprit ha. I would check the stocks, the fuse ha, wiring for any cuts or breaks along the way, vacuum lines, and go from there but... that write up would most likely be your best bet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cruise

most of the time the problem is the small vaccuum switch on the clutch or brake pedal. Basically the switch leaks a bit and opens the circuit causing the cruise to either be very week or not work at all. Pull off the vacuum hose on both switches and push on another hose that is long enough for you to suck on. SUck on the hose to see if the switch is leaking. Using a ohm meter you can check the two contacts to see if the switch is working. It will be your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK I have a 93 glx vr6 5speed wagon that was an auto. I had similar problems. After banging my head against the wall for hours I finally figured it out. There are two switches one on the brake pedal and one on the clutch. They have a little rubber pad the got deformed that is all it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi (to anyone still reading this post),

It seems the cruise control system is a hot topic with the VW forums. My post deals with part of that (the ventilation valve part).

The three common failures for the system, based on comments from others and on discussions I've had, are the,

1) Speed Controller Unit VW# 1H0 907 305 (that Hella box behind the center console under the AC controls)
2) Ventilation Valve VW# 1H0 907 343 or 811 907 343 B (see my post—Moby2—about removing that) Mine is an auto and has one on the brake pedal; the manual has two—brake and clutch pedals.
3) Steering-stalk switch VW# 1H0 953 513 D 01C

The above numbers are for a 1996 Passat B4, but most of, if not all of those part numbers above, are the same on several Passat models. Of course, other parts can be faulty also, but the three above appear to take the lion's share of issues based on my non-scientific evaluation.

It can be one or any combinations of parts in the system. For example, on mine, it was the speed controller unit and the ventilation valve.

If it's the controller, I can recommend a go-to guy in Texas named Mike. He's a tech and specializes in repairing the Hella unit, and is a VW owner. He repairs what is bad and re-conformal coats the board afterwards, and gives a life-time guarantee; the units come back to you sealed with tamper-evident tape. If the unit is not bad, he will tell you. He even provided me with copies of the Bentley schematics, trouble shooting procedures and tips. He's on ebay and goes by the seller name mknollen.

If anyone on the forum needs clear, easy to understand troubleshooting steps, let me know, and I will post them. There are several versions online, but many are poorly written and omit small details which are important, especially if you have an automatic transmission. For example, with my car you have to go above 25 mph to test the system, you can't do it with the wheels chocked and placing the shifter in D. It is easier to test the system with the controller unit removed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts