Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two problems... decided to start one thread for both.

First up... my cruise control has stopped working. I haven't done any diagnosis yet. Is there a fuse I could look for? If not, what's the next step?

Next... what's the best way to remove the front seat covers? I have a heated seat kit to install and I need to pull the seat bottom and seat back covers partially off to get them in place. It was super easy in my truck (Dodge RAM) but not sure about this thing.

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Is your cruise switch set to on?

I had the same issue and I didn't have the switch on. I had unknowingly turned it off. Not saying you are but I was a newbie to the car when it happened.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure what year/motor/trans you have, but the clutch switch and the brake switch will both prevent enabling cruise if they fail. Do your brake lights stay on, even when you're out of the car? Brake switch failed. Can you start your car without the clutch down, or does it continue to rev more than it used to when you go to change gears? Clutch switch failed.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
The seat bench and back covers are secured by strips of plastic (~3/8" wide x ~16" long) sewn into the fabric.

For the seat back section, access this plastic strip by looking at the base on the rear side (about the point where it pivots) for a small gap. IIRC, the plastic section is sewn into the bottom edge of fabric. You'll need to tug/pull on the leather or cloth fabric a bit to determine which "edge" of the material has this plastic retainer strip. The strip fits into a hidden metal slot in the seat back frame.

Once you find it, carefully pull it out by hand and slowly remove the cover from the frame and cushion. The lumbar mech. is there as well if you need to replace it.

The seat bench should be similar - look for a small gap at the rear edge of the fabric to find the plastic retainer strip. Work the strip out (carefully) from the metal slot on the seat frame and remove the cover.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
First off check fuse #7.

Did your cruise control work before? Did it work intermittently? Did it just die one day?

If you answered yes to the above (3) questions AND the fuse is good, you probably are experiencing what most other people have with their B5.
The CCM (Cruise Control Module) located behind the passengers side front airbag (accessible from underneath and behind the glove box) is a known failure issue with these cars. There are places on Ebay that will take your original CCM and send a newly refurbished unit for around $50.
I did this on my '98 and I haven't had any issues ever since.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I'll go check on the fuse and other stuff too.

It's the V6, 5sp manual. Brake lights are fine, clutch switch seems fine too. I'd guess it's the CCM if it's not the fuse. I also need the other module that controls the door locks and stuff too, since the windows and locks do weird stuff from time to time.

Rob

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The door locks and windows are controlled by another module that is also the CCM. Comfort Control Module.
You'll want to check the wires inside the rubber boots in the door jambs. They are prone to cracking and breaking. Also check your Comfort Control Module located under the carpet in the front driver's side footwell for water ingress, which is a known issue on Passat's.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Your 2000, B5, ATQ V6, manual, does not have a cruise control module, cruise control is built into the ECM.
Ensure that the brake lights are working normally, then follow the wiring diagram to check all relevant switches, wiring, etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I guess that simplifies things. Could the cruise "part" of the ECM have gone bad? I did check Fuse #7 and it's fine, as are all the fuses around it. This weekend I'll start looking at the other items.

Rob

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Your 2000, B5, ATQ V6, manual, does not have a cruise control module, cruise control is built into the ECM.
Ensure that the brake lights are working normally, then follow the wiring diagram to check all relevant switches, wiring, etc.
I didn't realize it was an ATQ designation. So yeah, then it does NOT have a module for the cruise control.
AHA drive by cable does though. And those are prone to failure.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Thanks. I guess that simplifies things. Could the cruise "part" of the ECM have gone bad? This weekend I'll start looking at the other items. Rob
Take your car for a test drive early on Sunday morning (gotta have nearly vacant roads when doing this) to perform the following tests on the clutch and brake pedal switches:

Before attempting to set the cruise, pull up on the clutch pedal, then press "set" . If no success, try again while pulling upwards (towards the driver) on the brake pedal. Pulling upwards on these pedals is one way to check these "kill" switches to determine if they need adjustment.

If the cruise activates briefly, but then cuts off once you let go of either pedal, you'll have found the culprit switch. Remove the harness connector on back and tighten the switch (moving it closer to the clutch or brake pedal arm) so it stays in the closed position - providing continuity to the "ground" side of the circuit.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Check your wiring diagram, I think you will find that in your car those CC brake and clutch switches supply 12V from fuses #7 and #13 to the ECM.
The DBC and DBW models use entirely different CC wiring.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey... okay so I did the brake and clutch pedal test today. No luck in either case. Have to wonder what the odds are of the turn signal stalk being the problem. Guess I'd have to tear into it with a meter and see.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have taken my steering wheel of a few times in my 04 GLX and there is a lot of stuff in there. I highly recommend you have the Bentley book before removing anything or poking around in there lol

As far as the door locks and windows doing funny things I wouldn't rule out the controller in the drivers door if all the other tests you perform don't fix this issue. Especially if you use the key to lock the doors and you have random issues with the arming and disarming of the alarm. There is a controller in the door that is known for breaking a solder joint. Creating the above electrical gremlins to awaken.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The Bentley is available Online. I got mine from ECSTuning. It's about $100 and comes in 2 hardback books. I would shy away from the Chilton's and Haynes as they are very generic.

As Tomvw mentioned scan the car. If you don't have the cable I strongly suggest you get that off Ebay then download the free 'Lite' version of the VCDS from Ross-Tech.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would look over the main wiring first considering how many wiring problems the B5s have been prone to. I remember reading somewhere on a thread far far away that the internal mechanism in the turn signal stalk becoming detached from the switch you slide is fairly common. In that case, you might be able to take it apart and connect it again.

To take the stalk out you'll be removing the airbag in the steering wheel. It's best to buy the scan tool now so you can clear the airbag code after putting it all back together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts