Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cruise control (on my 98 passat 20v turbo) doesnt like to stay on- and sometimes i can't even get it to turn on at all! is there a easy way to fix this without paying the dealer $60/hour?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You can do a visual inspection of the cruise control yourself. Locate the throttle body (this is located right of the intake manifold, drivers side/front). It is bolted on directly to the manifold, the other end has a honking black hose. Now with that located, attached to the bottom will be a rod. This rod is then connected to a ball and socket. This in turn connects to a black boot. This point to point description is the cruise control. From my readings, the cruise control system is actually based on a vacuum type system. I would want to say that if your problem is not electrical (maybe a VAGCOM scan could determine this for you) then perhaps that black booty is torn ruining the whole vacuum idea. Check that point to point idea I blabbed about above. Maybe that rod is bent? Not connected? Busted booty?

Beyond this, I can link you to some VW TSBs. You will be able to nav this site and find files of interest. One is the electrical workings. Note that it is titled for Diesel engines but may of be some interest nonetheless.

http://1.8t.org/~quattroman/

Keep us updated.

Go Air Force! :thumbup: Clemson AFROTC DET 770

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 98 also and my cruise is out. Mine did not work at all. It was my control module. If yours works sometimes it might be the switch or the ribbon in the stalk. Try tilting you steering wheel. The ribbon might be pinched. Codes won't come up in a 98 to tell what is wrong for the cruise system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
judedude
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing