Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has recently experienced or has resolved any creeking sounds emanating from your suspension????

I am experienceing the noise and it is driving me crazy. On top of that my wife hit a curb this past weekend and sacrificed the belly pan.:banghead: Thanks to the archives I will be replacing it with the W8 belly pan $66 from dealer :) But nonetheless, I am still having this creeking sound????

Anyway, I searched the archives and looked at early posts from (MEIN PASSAT) regarding B5's with a specific control arm issue and related recall.

There was another thread regarding the later B5.5 (Which is what I have) that the noise was thought to be related to the shipping blocks that were left in the top of the suspension bushings (Post Delivery)???

Weird thing is that folks were experienceing the same problem who had modified their suspensions??

Can anyone offer some help on this topic? :confused:

All help is appreciated....

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
among other things creeking comes from the upper or lower control arms.

·
22,610 Posts
sure did many times, not my first b.5 or b5
to see which one it is exactly...
got a friend to push on the car up and down so i can hear it...
then i would use a test light and poke a TINY hole in the rubber and spray some white lube in. when the car gets quiet thats the one.
can also be sway bar links but it dont last long, then they usually make a thud sound.
mods to the suspension speed up the process.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else have any insight???

Not really sure about this method??

then i would use a test light and poke a TINY hole in the rubber and spray some white lube in. when the car gets quiet thats the one.
can also be sway bar links but it dont last long, then they usually make a thud sound.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
have you done anything to the shocks/springs lately? is it coming from the side the wife hit the curb on, or was this happening before that?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have you done anything to the shocks/springs lately? is it coming from the side the wife hit the curb on, or was this happening before that?
No changes to car...
Was happening before the curb rash mostly in the cold, however, I noticed noise on the front side near the newly rashed up wheel also.. .

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Sounds like that superb road salt has taken another victim.
I'd put money on one of the control arms - upper lower maybe both.
If it got curbed I'd say the lower.
And stay away from them curbs that sh!t gets expensive.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Now that is a good idea! Pretty much fool proof.
Where did you get that from, if I may ask?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like that superb road salt has taken another victim.
I'd put money on one of the control arms - upper lower maybe both.
If it got curbed I'd say the lower.
And stay away from them curbs that sh!t gets expensive.

I'm going to the dealer this Friday and will have them check it out..
I also noticed that when I jerk the wheel to the right their is a slight creeking noise then too... Hope their is no damage, but I'll keep the post active on dealers findings.. if any..?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott,
Spent some more time searching under suspension noise problems.
I found out if you search under "creaking" vs "creeking" you get totally differnt results. Gotta sharpen my search technique..

Sounds like concensus is a (Dry joint) so I will take your advice and invest in some lubricant and add it to the list of periodic maintenance items of my beloved Passat...

Any particular brand that is recommended? I remember reading about White Lightning or somthing to tht effect??

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had what sounded like metal on metal rattling noise when I went over bumps. VW said it was lower control arms. Anyway, they replaced them and it seems to be gone, although on occasion I think I still hear it but it may just be me trying to hear it because I don’t trust VW:banghead:

·
Registered
30 Posts
check your CV joints my car was makin' funny noises and behold my right cv boot was out. If that is the problem just don't fix the boot- replace the whole axel. find a good mechanic . . . my machanic was straight up like we could fix the boot, but you don't know how long you were rolling on it . . . and could still break - dealer was tellin' me to fix the cv boot - so I could come in 3 months later to tell me I need a new axel . . . got it replaced and no issues! check if their is grease inside your rim. If so that is a bad sign! Good luck!

·
22,610 Posts
that lube trick is to FIND the problem not FIX the problem.
also the cold will affect the suspension.

8,184 Posts
Febi-Bilsteins are a great CA set, or Meyle OE but I haven't read a bad thing about Febi-Bilsteins. Replace them all and be done with it forever. You're not lower and are stock but your shock are most likely shot too. Get some KY2 gas stocks and get it all done right and it will got another 6 years

1 - 20 of 91 Posts