Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I've started getting a creaking noise from the front right suspension. It started out happening only during braking at low speeds, and now it does it even when I turn the wheel at a stand still. I wd40'd the whole area and that took care of it for half a day. Then I tried silicon spray, which took care of it all day, but I can't get it to stop! Is this just normal creaking or are my tierod ends or ball joints bad or something? Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
if the cv boot was torn, he would likely have grease splattered all over the suspension/wheel. but it is likely that it is about to go... i remember mine making some weird creaking noises when i would decelerate and around turns.... a few days after i was hearing the noises, i had the boot burst on me. nasty, grease everywhere.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Seriously ... click Search, enter squeak front suspension
Then read - theres lots of usefull posts!
Sounds like upper control arms although turning noises can be Tie Rod ends

·
Registered
537 Posts
had the same on mine last year. was a boot on one of the lower control arms broken. grease out and dirt in. creaking, worst at standstill. repalced lower arms and everything was fine

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i just replaced both cv boots like 2 months ago. it made the noise before and after. do you think it has something to do with the fact that i drove it for a couple of weeks with the torn boots and then didn't replace the whole axle? i would think that if that was a problem then the axle would just seize or something not just creak.??????

·
Registered
537 Posts
Personally, I think it will be the control arm boots, not the cv joint boots.

Have you had the wheels off and had a good look at each one to check for splits / tears? (2 lowers and 2 uppers on each side). Could also check tie rod end boots while you're looking

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I was in there yesterday and everything looks okay, but there is play in the wheel when there shouldn't be. What should I replace first? Pics would also be good because I don't really know what I'm actuall looking at when you say things like "control arm boot"

·
Registered
537 Posts
when you take the front wheel off you see the hub (might not be correct term!) with the brake disc (rotor) on it amongst other things. This big chuck o metal is held in place partially by two arms at the bottom and two arms at the top (suspension / control arms). These connect to this hub with a balljoint each. This ball joint can swivel around and has greased to keep it mobile. This grease is kept in by small round rubber 'boots' that go over the joint. There is then a stub of metal poking out which is attached to the hub. These are the boots that can opften split leading to creaking. You can only get a good look with the wheel off and maybe a torch to see round the back.

At the inboard end of these control arms is a different type of fixing, less flexible but still a bit flexible, called a bush. These can go too but will make a clunking sound rather than creaking. Hard to visually inspect these.

There are also the tie rod ends which you can see quite near where the upper control arms meet the hub. One on each side and these too have a ball joint and rubber boot. Could check these for splits too. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it does help. The funny thing is, i've got creaking AND clunking! I was going to start with the tie rod end(?) at the end of the steering knuckle. Do you think I should replace my upper control arms too?

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
Yeah it does help. The funny thing is, i've got creaking AND clunking! I was going to start with the tie rod end(?) at the end of the steering knuckle. Do you think I should replace my upper control arms too?

yes, start with tie rods end like I did last month, and noise is gone. i was afraid that it may be the CA, but fortunately just TRE. don't forget to do alignment after that:thumbup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's hard to diagnose without seeing / feeling / hearing.

After fixing my creaking (lower control arm ball joint - could see where the boot had split / torn) I also had a clunking and tracked it down to my upper control arm bush (bushes being on the inboard side of the control arms). I did this by placing my fingers on each control arm in turn and giving the wheel a good enough kick to make/feel the noise. When I was on the arm with the dodgy bush I could 'feel' the knock through the arm with my fingers more than on any of the others so that was how I found my worst knock. new upper control arms sorted that one. I still have a less obvious one. I'm thinking / hoping tie rod ends as that is the only thing left to do on the front :) Not been out to track it down properly yet.

From what I understandf a knocking could be caused by any suspension arm, or tie rod end. If there is no obvious damage then you either need to try and 'feel' where the knock is coming from or just replace bits one after the other until you fix it (could get expensive)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just something that I have noticed about my 03 GLX. It makes the creaking noise every winter. It starts when the temp drops to freezing, then goes away when it is warmer. I have notice that for that last couple of years. I had it checked out, and the CV were good. Mine was made after they made the control arms (?) larger.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
If it creaks when standing still just by turning the wheel, it's most likely the tie rod ends. IIRC, getcoolparts.com had a really good deal on the Meyle improved heavy duty ends.

Suspension creaks are pretty common for VW, but you'd notice them mostly at low speeds especially when the car has sat for a while. You can reproduce them by bouncing the bumper first thing in the morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts