Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched all forum with no success in finding some related problems so I have to open a new topic.
I have a click/creak type of sound (like stepping on a old wood floor) which is not controll arms related. This sound apeared right after a steeringrack change/alignment done on my car.
The noise is more present in high temperature (and now as the spring is here it became louder) or after few minutes of driving (that's why my dealer never heared it) and seams to have its origin from under the firewall from both sides but more on the driver's side. I can reproduce the sound each time I accelerate or brake hard or driving on uneaven pavement. It also can be heared when rising the front end.
I retorqed all the nuts/screws from subframe/controll arms/ steering rack and grease all the bushings with no succes in eliminating the noise.
Can you give me any suggestion please?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input but mine hasn't lost a drop of PS since new (neither the old one that was replaced under warranty for an excessive play in the steeringwheel)
The noise isn't related to the hidraulic system cause it can be duplicated whith the engine off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can you diagnose a bad inner track rod, can it be the source of the creaking noise?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the arm's ball joint for play or unusuall sounds (there was also checked some mechanics) and visually inspect the bushings.
I also lubed the bushings with no change in noise intensity or pitch so that's how I draw the conclusion that the control arms are not to be blame for this noise.
Forgot to mention, I have 1BB heavy duty suspension, and the car has only 30k Km.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem!!! Basically anytime the front end is moving (even if it's cranking the steering wheel while sitting at a light or in the driveway) I hear this creak (sounds like rubber on metal or something). I've only had my car a week so I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I just had a full inspection on the car when I got it. Wonder if they lubed up the front end?

It seems that subtle changes in speed or direction (accelerating, decelerating, or turning the wheel) make the sound the worst. Abrupt changes don't bring it out quite as much. I'm concerned that this may be a safety issue if something in the steering or suspension is worn out. No leaks though! I'll talk to my dealer AGAIN (since I've only had the car a week) and see if I can do anything.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the same problem, only mine is more pronounced when it's cold outside. I'm also leaning on the inner tierod joint. I'm going to change it in a couple of months to see if it cures the creak. I to have no lost of fluid or rack issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts